Saturday, May 27, 2023

Sam's Saturday 9: Some Gave All (1992)


On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

Memorial Day is the federal holiday designated to honor American service people who died in battle.

1) Here at Saturday 9, we regard everyone who served -- veterans and active military -- as heroes. Have you, or has anyone in your family, worn the uniform of our armed forces? We want to hear about them.

Fort Wright, Fisher's Island New York
My father is on the right.
My father.
He joined the Army National Guards in the 1930s during the depression… it help pay the bills. He was in the harbor defense battalion, during the war and he defended the navy submarine base in New London from German submarines, then as a Captain he was transferred to coastal defense base in Key West.
After the German U-Boat threat was neutralized he was sent to the Pacific in an anti-aircraft as a Major. Finally as Lt. Colonel he was put in-charge of rebuilding Manila’s water & sewer system and made a major when they found out he was a civil engineer by trade.

2) Memorial Day has its own flag etiquette. In the morning, the American flag should be flown at half staff in memory of those we have lost. Then, at noon, it should be raised briskly to full staff, in honor of all who have served. Where is the nearest flag flying from where you sit right now?
At the town’s Veterans’ park. The parade Monday will go to the Veteran's Park.

3) Since 1988, motorcycle riders have participated in Rolling Thunder. In events all over the country, including Washington DC, bikers "Roll Together" to draw attention to service members still missing and raise awareness of mental health issues our veterans cope with each day. When have you most recently ridden a motorcycle? A scooter? A bicycle?
A motorcycle back in high school. A bicycle in the 70s. You have to realize this is New England it is all up and down. When I had a bike back in the 70s it was a 100 foot climb up the hill in front of the house and a mile down hill to the level roads and then back home it was a mile up hill to get to my house.

4) This week's song is the title track of Billy Ray Cyrus' best-selling album. Named for this patriotic song, the album also included Billy Ray's signature song, "Achy Breaky Heart." "Achy Breaky Heart" is a popular choice on karaoke nights. Do you know it well enough to sing along?
Nope. I only heard it a couple of times I’m not a fan of Country & Western music.

5) Sandy Kane, the hero of "Some Gave All," is based on a real Vietnam vet Billy Ray Cyrus met and spoke to about his sacrifice for his country. Can you think of another song based on a real person?
Candle in the Wind.


6) Memorial Day is the traditional kick off of the summer season. Have you packed away your winter clothes yet?
They never get put away, they are there right next to the summer, fall, and spring clothes.

7) As you answer these questions, is there a fan or an air conditioner cooling your room?
Neither, I am writing this on Thursday afternoon and it is 68 out and all the windows are open.

8) Memorial Day is also a holiday for retailers. Ads promise great prices on everything from grills to lawn decorations to high tech gear and gadgets. Will you be shopping any sales this weekend?
Nope, except for food. I am going to a Memorial Day picnic at a friends house.

9) Random question: When is the last time you felt like a kid?
Um… how about 50 years ago.
Right now I feel awfully old, I have been having a number of medical tests to find out why I am out of breath and tired all the time. So no I don’t feel like a kid more like the other end of the spectrum. 

Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!



*****I am having problems with Chrome it isn't allowing me to comment on posts Chrome it only lets me post as “Anonymous” and on some of the blog they don't let me post as “Anonymous”*****


Last Saturday it rained all the way home from the Cape... after 5 hours driving in the wet roads I was beat. And during the were doctors appointments (I joke that my warrantee is running out! I told that joke to one of my doctors once and he came right back with, "What you didn't take out the extended warrantee?") and Zoom meetings. It was a crazy week! Things finally settled down on Thursday.

5 comments:

  1. #9: I'm so sorry you're not feeling well! I hope the tests give you some answers about why you feel tired all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Diana, I hope you get some answers and results soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry you aren't feeling well. That's never fun and always worrisome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope they find out why you are having a hard time breathing. Your dad had an impressive military career!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get Well soon, Diana! I hope they figure out what it is right away, and cure it. Your family history about your Dad's military service is fascinating. What a great contribution he made to our country. Have fun at the picnic.

    ReplyDelete