On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
Pure Prairie League is one of the groups that I like, I have all their vinyl records.
1) Pure Prairie League was a country rock band signed by Casablanca Records in 1980. The label, known for disco hits, wanted to expand their client roster in case disco died. (Which it did, and Casablanca ultimately went bankrupt.) Disco can be a polarizing topic among music fans. Do you love it or loathe it?
Okay, I grew up with the hard rock, then along came disco movement, you couldn’t ignore disco because everyone was into it so if you wanted to go out on weekends you had to go to a disco bar. So I had a canary-yellow polyester leisure suit complete with high heel shoes. I looked like someone from Saturday Night Fever.
So to answer your question, no I didn’t like disco. It was too “plastic” pun intended.
However, some good music came out of the disco era.
2) In this song, lead singer Vince Gill encourages his girl to hold him tight. Who did you most recently hug?
When I had lunch with my brother and sister-in-law.
3) Vince Gill left The Pure Prairie League in 1982 and went on to be a solo success. Tell us about a job you were glad you left.
Well my first job the company went bankrupt, my second job I followed my boss when he went to another company, and my third and final job I had when they were bought out the new owners closed down factory. So by default my second job was the one I left was my best move it resulted in a job of 28 years.
4) He says his favorite song is the country classic, "He Stopped Loving Her Today." Do you often listen to country?
I like the old joke about what do you get when you play a country song backwards? You get your house back, your wife comes back, your dog comes back, and you get your truck back.
5) Vince joined The Eagles on tour after the 2016 death of Glenn Frey, taking over Frey's guitar solos. Do you have a favorite Eagles song?
Oh… Oh… they are my favorite band. Look at the top of my blog and you will see a quote from one of their songs. I can’t pick out one sing, how can you pick a favorite from these songs? Peaceful Easy Feeling, Tequila Sunrise, Take it Easy, Desperado, One of These Nights, and Lyin' Eyes.
6) Vince met future wife, singer Amy Grant, when she performed on his Christmas TV special. Have you ever had a workplace romance?
No, I saw what happens when you break up with the person that you see at work every day… sparks fly and it ends up in HR.
7) In 1980, when this song was popular, The Love Boat was a hit. Have you ever taken a cruise? If yes, where did you go?
Nope. I have no interest in going on one.
However, I would like to take a windjammer cruise along the Maine coast.
8) 1980 also gave us the Post-It Note. What did you most recently write on a Post-It?
Don’t forget your meds!
I have them stuck around the house to remember to bring my meds with me tot he Cape.
9) Random question: You find yourself one of three strangers trapped in an elevator. Would you rather the other two people be a man and a woman, two men, or two women?
I never really thought about it. I don’t think that it really matters, just as long as it is not packed.
My neighbor who was the same age as me when I was a teenager got trapped in an elevator in Hartford for several hours developed a phobia about elevators. There was a blackout from a snow storm and it took a long time for her to be rescued by the fire department.