Voters tend to vote for local issues and issues that directly affect them and lets face it even through we see our human rights as a major issue most people do not.
Our goal is to make our rights one of the issues that people see as important to them.
Unfortunately, Martin Niemölle poem is right, “First they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a socialist.” it could be rewritten today as,
First they came for the trans people, and I did not speak out—because I was not trans.
Then they came for the abortion rights, and I did not speak out— because I was not pregnant.
Then they came for the Blacks, and I did not speak out—because I am not Black.
Then they came for the immigrants, and I did not speak out—because I was not an immigrant.
Then they came for the Jews and Muslims, and I did not speak out—because I was not a Jew or a Muslim.
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.
The Texas Republican Platform is an blueprint to leading us to authoritarianism.
The platform declared:
- Homosexuality is a chosen behavior contrary to God and endorsed “reparative therapy” to reverse it.
- That “life begins at fertilization”
- Prohibit the teaching of “sex education, sexual health, or sexual choice or identity in any public school in any grade whatsoever.”
- It also rejects any Medicare/Medicaid expansion. It demands repealing the Affordable Care Act.
- It wants the repeal the 1965 Voting Rights Act, a monumental federal policy that granted minorities, more specifically Black people, the right to vote without the burden of literacy tests, poll taxes, and intimidation at voting centers.
- “Texas retains the right to secede from the United States, and the Texas Legislature should be called upon to pass a referendum consistent thereto.”
We have to make these human rights issues as important as economy for the voters, we have make them realize that the way the country is toward fascism. That their silence is implied consent to the Republican policies.
The question is how do we do that?
How do we get the voters past their pocketbooks and to take a long view?