Friday, June 10, 2022

My Story Part 195: Allies

We get allies from strange places like at an accident.

Well three of Septembers ago I got in a car accident at the Bourne Rotary South, I know that it is the south rotary because that is what the police report said. So I ended up giving her my business card when she saw that I was an executive director of a trans and she says that she supports trans rights, that she voted for “Massachusetts Question 3.” You never know where we are going to find allies, so I give her my elevator speech thanking her for her support.

I went to the deli at the local market, when my number was called I walked up to the counter to order and lady at the counter looked at me and said, “Oh I saw you on the news last night, you are so right we need to pass that law. You never know where we are going to find allies, so I give her my elevator speech thanking her for her support and told her to tell her legislator to vote for the bill.

I was giving a workshop at a conference and the location was in an armory and because it was a “military base” I had to submit my presentation a week in advance and they would show the presentation. Well after it was over the solider said to me that she learned a lot from watching the workshop.  You never know where we are going to find allies.

Many of you know that I do a meme on Saturdays well one time I mentioned that I needed someone to proofread my term papers and a person who also plays the meme said she would do it. Now she was from the Bible Belt and was a person of faith. I said that I would be honored for her to proofread my papers, she also read my blog and was asking questions. She wanted to learn and understand. Well one comment she made raised the hackles of a trans person and she let her have it, she didn’t any thing back calling her a bigot and used foul language (It is one reason why the comments need to be approved.). she told me to find someone else to proofread and she stopped playing the meme each week.  You never know when we turn away a potential ally by our words or actions.

One of the things that I always try to do is present a good image for the trans community, we always need more allies.

1 comment: