Monday, August 31, 2020

Outreach

Sometimes we end up doing outreach in some pretty strange places, like a median in the middle of a highway.

I got in to a minor accident coming up to the Cape yesterday, a bad start to a week vacation, there were no injures just a mangled but drivable car and it was kind of a forced outreach. That is the thing when you have transitioned, you are always doing outreach in the strangest places, yesterday it was in the middle of the Bourne rotary. I met a very nice your lady and two police officers, it is not like I planned on doing an outreach. I would have liked it if we didn’t meet there but we did.

Whether we are standing in a checkout line, or at a restaurant, or grocery shopping we are constantly meeting people and we have to deal with it, it is all part of being an out trans person.

So yesterday I was minding my own business watching where I was going when WHAM this car hit the side of my car… that means calling 911 (which in my adrenaline high I keep calling 922) and dealing with the police and exchanging information with the to the other driver. 

The last time that happened was in 2008 at a tollbooth on the Maine Turnpike when I was in an accident I was worried how the police officer treat me and he was excellent just like the other two officers yesterday. At that accident I didn’t have to deal with the other driver the state trooper did all the paperwork and the same thing when I was in an accident where a hit-and-run driver sideswiped my car.

We never know when or who we will run into (Hmm… bad choice of words) We never know when or who we will meet.

So here is the damage… 


P.S. I hate rotaries and in particle two lane rotaries.  

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are OK. I absolutely hate rotaries, too!

    ReplyDelete