Saturday, August 29, 2020

Saturday 9: Buttered Popcorn

Sam’s Saturday 9: Buttered Popcorn (1961)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This Saturday, the treat's on Sam. Will you have buttered popcorn, caramel corn or cheese popcorn?
Buttered popcorn
I have been seasoning my popcorn with McCormick Barbecue Rub Grill Mates

2) This record represents the Supremes as they are seldom heard. Florence Ballard is singing lead, with background vocals provided by Mary Wilson, Barbara Martin and Diane Ross. That's right, "Diane." Her parents meant for her to be named "Diane," and that's what old friends and family still call her, but the hospital mistakenly put her name down as "Diana." Motown execs thought "Diana Ross" had a better sound and the rest, as they say, is history. Do you often make typos? Or are you careful and precise at the keyboard?
Well first off… I agree Diana is a better name than Diane
I make a ton of typos. I will partly blame it o stickykeys, especially the space bar.

3) Barbara Martin left the Supremes in 1962, before they reached stardom, because she was a new mom and wanted to stay home with her baby. Have you ever found yourself in the difficult position of having to choose between your personal and professional lives?
Oh yeah. When I was interning I had a client who was in the news and a friend asked me about the person and I couldn’t even tell the person why I couldn’t comment about the person to her. I had to tell another social worker to explain it to her.

4) Florence Ballard's cousin, Hank, wrote the famous Chubby Checkers dance record, "The Twist." When did you last get on your feet and dance?
Um… about 60 years ago.

5) Mary Wilson stayed with the group until it disbanded in 1977. She has said that one of her most memorable moments came in 1968, when the group performed for Princess Margaret. Mary recalled that the Princess loudly asked if Mary's hair was real or a wig. Mary was shocked, expecting better behavior from a royal. Tell us a time when someone's behavior shocked you.
I get asked that same question many, many times… it is rude.

6) In 1961, when this song was released, the TV show Hazel premiered and was a top 5 hit for NBC. Oscar winner Shirley Booth played the title character, a very capable and lovable maid. If Crazy Sam could have a maid for just a few hours today, she'd love to have her refrigerator cleaned and kitchen cabinets organized. If you could have a pair of helping hands around your house this afternoon, what would you ask the maid to do?
Oh yes! But they would probably need hazards duty pay to clean out my refrigerator. 

7) Also in 1961, President John F. Kennedy appeared on the cover of Time as their Man of the Year. Are there any magazines in your home right now? If so, who is on the cover?
Nope. I look at magazines on the internet. When I visit my brother and sister-in-law they have Yankee and Down East magazines which I read there. They usually do not have people on the cover.

8) Ernest Hemingway died in 1961. Have you read any of his works?
Not since high school.

9) Random question: How many pancakes are in the perfect stack?
Two, I have to watch my girlish figure. I had apple spice pancakes yesterday morning. I mix 2/3 of a cup of pancake mix to 1 package of instant Quaker Apple Cinnamon   

Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

9 comments:

  1. #3 -- That must have been a sticky position to be in! (Especially as an intern.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...barbecue popcorn...I might have to try that. Your pancakes sound good, too. I'm learning all kinds of new ways to make them today. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness how can you stop at two pancakes? My big problem and my waist line and belly are paying for it is the love of eating. I have heard during this plague that many folks are getting bigger and rounder. I was going to start my diet on Monday and so far this week I have eaten, ice cream, a Blueberry bread pudding with home made whipped cream, cookies of different varieties, and yesterday went to the Farmers Market and bought a Strawberry and Rhubarb pie. Oh well I suppose I am not on the make for a new partner so I will just continue until I can diet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apple spice pancakes sound good!
    I am always amazed how rude people can be. They have no manners. I just don't get it and I can't tolerate it. I am sorry that happens to you. That really makes me mad. Loved you answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am shocked that you don't boogie around more! Your pancakes sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never thought of mixing apple spice and pancake mix. Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have learned a new way to make pancakes. They sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hazard pay.. lol! But, you are not alone. I asked the cook what was the oldest expired thing in the fridge, and he said, "I don't know, there has to be several!"

    ReplyDelete