On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) This song, originally recorded by The Who, was the theme of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, which ran from 2000 to 2015. Did you watch it? Were you a fan?
I was a fan of Marg Helgenberger, when she left the show I stopped watching it.
2) When the show premiered, Gil Grissom (William Petersen) was the CSI team's supervisor. Gil's mother was deaf, and so he was fluent in American Sign Language. Can you communicate using ASL?
Where I went for my undergraduate degree they had the National Technical Institute for the Deaf.
So I signed up to learn it… but (you know there is always a but.) I am a horrible speller especially back in 1970. So when I was trying to spell a word I usually got a “Hun?” in reply so I gave up.
When I was in graduate school I met a deaf person who was at my undergraduate school and he was from South Africa. I learned that sign language varies around the world for example the sign for shower here in the US is like a shower head and in South Africa it is like a bucket of water being poured over you.
3) His assistant is blood-splatter analyst Catherine Willows (Marg Helgenberger). Catherine's family moved often, which made it hard for her to get traction in her studies. She finally just dropped out of high school. She later got her GED, and even graduated from college. Have you ever considered going back to school?
Yes and I did. I went back college when I was 60 for my Master’s in Social Work
4) Though set in Las Vegas, most of CSI was filmed in Santa Clarita, CA. Santa Clarita is also home to Six Flags Magic Mountain amusement park. Do you enjoy roller coasters?
NO! I went on one and my glasses went flying off, after the ride was over they stopped thee roller coaster to look for my glasses… very embarrassing. They did find them.
5) The vocalist on the CSI theme, Roger Daltry of the Who, made a cameo appearance on the show during season 7. Do you have a favorite Who song?
Well you can’t have “a” favorite Who song they had so many great songs…
“Who Are You”
“I Can See for Miles”
“Won't Get Fooled Again”
6) CSI became a franchise, followed by CSI: Miami and CSI: New York. If we could organize a Saturday 9 field trip, which of these CSI cities would you prefer we visit: Las Vegas, Miami or New York?
Well I don’t like Miami or Las Vegas, so that leaves New York just down the road from me as the crow fly's.
7) In 2000, the last original Peanuts comic strip was published. How many Peanuts characters can you name?
Three or four
8) Also in 2000, media giant Time Warner merged with America Online, the email provider. It's estimated that 74% of us check our email at least once/day. Are you one of the 74%?
I check my email accounts probably 10 or more times a day… but then again I am the Executive Director of a non-profit. Just today(Thursday) I was in an email conversation about a panel that I am going to be on about homeless transgender people next Thursday with a state representative and someone from the Connecticut Department of Housing. I have a Zoom meeting Friday afternoon, then there a series of emails planning a meeting with the LGBTQ Needs Assessment Workgrouping Meetings a researcher from Yale and a state commissioner who is part of the group. (I’m a name dropper)
Finally there were two professors who want me to be a guest lecturer for their classes this semester (These are all Zoom meetings or classes).
Remember… I’m retired
9) Random question -- Did you more recently cut and paste, or delete?
Cut and paste.
I got a work around for Blogger adding a double space from when you cut and pasted the questions and answers.
Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!