Saturday, November 16, 2019

Saturday 9: Judy at Carnegie Hall

Sam’s Saturday 9: Judy at Carnegie Hall (1961)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…
Hey, I’m actually going to be home all day! But tomorrow I am taking the New London - Orient Point ferry to visit some friends over on Long Island and have a leisurely lunch. 




We're spotlighting this legendary concert because  Bev from Sunday Stealing loves Judy Garland. This week's Saturday 9 is a "thank you," one meme-mistress to another, in gratitude for Bev's willingness to pick up Bud's meme and keep it going.

Song #1: "When You're Smiling." What made you smile this week?
I have been a Bah Humbug mood this week

Song #2: "Almost Like Being in Love." We've all had many crushes, but love is rare. How many times have you fallen in love?
Probably three times, the latest probably ten years ago.

Song #3: "This Can't Be Love." This Rodgers and Hart song was introduced in the play, The Boys from Syracuse. Syracuse is the county seat of Onondaga County, NY. What county do you hail from?
Believe it or not, Connecticut doesn’t have any country governments, however they do have 169 towns. I live in Hartford county.

Song #4: "Do It Again." What's something you'd do again, if only you had the time or money? (A book you'd like to reread, a recipe or pattern you'd like to make again, a vacation destination you'd like to revisit, etc.)
Two items on my bucket list.
A week on a windjammer going up the Maine coast
And visiting all the western National Parks

Song #5: "You Go to My Head." Judy forgets the lyrics, but gamely keeps going. Tell us about a recent moment when you chose to keep going, no matter what.
Driving up to Springfield through rush hour traffic... I was ready to turn back it was so bad.

Song #6: "Alone Together." Is anyone there with you as you answer these questions, or are you alone?
Alone.

Song #7: "Who Cares?" This song was written by brothers George and Ira Gershwin. They had a lesser known brother, stockbroker Arthur. Are you more creative and artistic, like George and Ira? Or more analytical and methodical, like Arthur?
Well what do you think?
I was an electrical engineering…  analytical and methodical
My hobby is photography…  creative and artistic

Song #8: "Puttin' on the Ritz." Judy sings that The Ritz is the place in New York "where fashion sits." If we wanted to see everyone "all gussied up" in your town, where would we go?
In my town… ?
Um…
I have no idea. We are a bedroom town. Everyone goes to work in another and comes home here.
If I wanted to get "all gussied up" I would go to Hartford and eat at Max Downtown and then to the Bushnell to see a play.The last play I saw at the Bushnell was Beautiful Carole King Musical

Song #9: "How Long Has This Been Going On?" Judy sings about discovering how glorious romance can be. Have you made any new discoveries lately? It doesn't have to be as groundbreaking as Judy's. A new podcast or a faster route to work counts, too.
Nope, nothing that I can think of. Maybe by the time this published at 8 AM I would have thought of one.

If you're wondering why there are no Garland hits here ... these are her first numbers in the order that she performed them. She saved her better-known songs for the end of concert. Who am I to second guess Judy?

Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

8 comments:

  1. You're every Gershwin brother, all in one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in a bedroom town too. I guess I didn't even think about taking you all anywhere here, I was just going to take you to the city. Good point. If we are in my town...jeans are fine.
    I think you are a good mix of the Gershwin brothers! Why are you in a bad mood? I hope it gets better. :) Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The windjammer trip sounds exciting and adventurous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never read your column without smiling at the Glenn Fry quote. Man I miss his music. But "Already Gone" is my favorite Eagles song. Or was it "Lying Eyes"? Or "Hotel California"? Or "Take it Easy?" I'm done. Smoke 'em if you got 'em...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you're feeling bah humbug. I hope you find something to make you smile today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, reading the comments on today's Saturday 9

      Delete
  6. I believe you are a creatively analytical person, and a methodical artist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your bucket list items. We didn't get to see nearly enough of Maine this summer and I've always wanted to tour the national parks. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete