Monday, November 18, 2019

An Adventure On The High Seas!

Yesterday turned out to be an adventure, it started out simple enough; visit some friends on Long Island  for a leisurely luncheon afternoon. Well that was the plan.

Forecast was a little ominous, cloudy and windy with possible snow Monday morning… the weather should be good enough to travel over on the New London - Orient Point ferry to Long Island.

Ten o’clock Sunday morning at the ticket office after I buying my ticket… the clerk says if the weather gets too bad they will stop the ferry… What? Hey? Hun? What happens if I’m stuck on Long Island?

I guess you’ll have find a place to sleep.

I decide to still go on the 10:30 ferry, the weather report still said that it was just going to be cloudy and windy.

When the ferry got out of the wind shadow of Fisher Island and in the open waters of the sound we start rocking and rolling. The waves were probably 2 to 4 foot… interesting.

****

I remember once I went to SUNY at Stony Brook for a conference on grassroots organizing and I was planning on taking the Bridgeport – Port Jefferson ferry over to Long Island. Some people from a non-profit asked if they could go to the conference with me, now bear in mind that these people have never been out of the city of Hartford before.

I told them that I would be taking the ferry over and were they okay with that? Sure no problem.

Well I knew I was in trouble when we pulled up to the ferry… We’re going on that big ship! They freaked out… and then when I drove up into the ship they were amazed.

The waves were only about 1 to 2 feet. Well they turned an amazing shade of green. I always thought that fictional… nope people do turn an interesting shade of green.

****

So yesterday I was meet by my friends at the dock at noon and I ran into the ticket building, to ask about if they were canceling the ferry service later in the day. The clerk said only after 8 o’clock so that wasn’t bad, but we deciding I would go back on the 3 pm ferry.

We went to eat at a lovely Greek restaurant and I had a leg of lamb. For dessert it was Baklava… oh that was so excellent!

So we made it back for the 3 pm ferry just in time... I was the last one on the ferry.

Well it got a lot rougher… I mean a lot rougher!

It made a very interesting crossing and now I know that I don’t get seasick.

On the way over and back I listened to an audio book that I downloaded from the library,
Lois McMaster Bujold’s The Curse of Chalion.




No comments:

Post a Comment