Monday, May 25, 2015

I Have Mixed Feelings...

About photographs of trans kids, the Huffington Post has an article about cross-gender children,
'Inside Out: Portraits Of Cross-Gender Children' Beautifully Documents Transgender Kids
By JamesMichael Nichols
Posted: 05/24/2015

For the past 12 years, Dutch photographer Sarah Wong has documented the lives and experiences of a group of children who have transitioned -- or are in the process of transitioning -- to live as their authentic selves.

Wong captured these images of children involved with VU University in Amsterdam, where they engaged in a type of therapy that aimed to support children who experience gender dysphoria. A number of these kids took or have taken puberty blockers in order to delay the effects of puberty until they decide how they want to live their lives. However, the photos were taken at the kids' homes, schools, ballet classes -- spaces where they felt most comfortable.
Even though he had the permission of the parents I am still leery,
The Huffington Post: Who are the children captured in these photographs?
Sarah Wong: These are Dutch, cross-gender children aged 5 up to 17. I photographed them since 2003 by request of their parents. I worked as a photographer in health care and had just finished a photo book about a children's hospital. We met, and the cross-gender children immediately touched my heart.
The photos are great, I like the second photo of the freckled girl, but I don’t think that their photos should be on the web. Maybe I am old fashion but I think the kids should be giving their privacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment