Sunday, December 21, 2014

Manspreading

We all have seen it. One of the big things that I noticed when I transitioned was when I went to the movies if a guy sat next to me he took up the leg room for two people and not only that but he hogged the arm rest.

Well now there is a campaign to end "manspreading" on the subway… good luck!
A Scourge Is Spreading. M.T.A.’s Cure? Dude, Close Your Legs.
New York Times
By Emma G. Fitzsimmons
December 20, 2014

It is the bane of many female subway riders. It is a scourge tracked on blogs and on Twitter.

And it has a name almost as distasteful as the practice itself.

It is manspreading, the lay-it-all-out sitting style that more than a few men see as their inalienable underground right.

Now passengers who consider such inelegant male posture as infringing on their sensibilities — not to mention their share of subway space — have a new ally: the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.
A poster taking aim at the practice of manspreading is part of a new civility-themed campaign by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.
Credit Metropolitan Transportation Authority.
I wish them luck, it has become a male right, seize all the territory that you can. Dominate others by taking their space and continue pushing until you have it all.
Several blogs regularly highlight instances of manspreading where knees stretch several feet apart. On some sites, images of large objects like the Death Star from “Star Wars” have been added with Photoshop into the space between the splayed legs. While there are women who take up more than their share of space, the offenders are usually men.
[…]
For men who think that sitting with their legs spread is socially acceptable, manners experts say it is not. Peter Post, the author of the book “Essential Manners for Men” and great-grandson of etiquette guru Emily Post, said the proper way for men to sit is with their legs parallel rather than in a V-shape

“I’m baffled by people who do that kind of thing, who take other people’s space,” he said.
There is nothing baffling about it; it is a male dominance thing… “this in my territory!”

Having transitioned you notice even more, before I transitioned I avoided “manspreading,” I never felt comfortable doing it and I tried to keep my legs together. And I noticed that the trans-guys waste no time picking up the trait, the classic “guy poise” arms crossed, legs wide open.

No comments:

Post a Comment