Thursday, August 02, 2012

My Story Part 129 – Prius

When I got my first Prius I was one of the few people in the state to own a Prius II, I had ordered in when the second generation came out in October 2003 and I was the first one on the list. When they arrived on the lot in December it was only one of ten in the state. Mind you this was before I came out to anyone and that created a problem since not only was it the first Prius, but I also have a vanity license plate. When “Diana” was driving it, I was always afraid that a friend or someone from work would see me. It you saw a red Prius it was me, there was no way to deny it… Red Prius = “Don.”

Another result of owning the only Prius in town or one of less than a hundred in the whole state and the car being the Motor Trend Car of the Year was that I was constantly being asked question about it. One time I pulled into a parking space a convenience store and a state trooper pulls up behind me as I was getting out of the car. First thought was did I stop completely at the stop sign? The next thought is one of my lights out? He gets out of the curser and asked how do I like the Prius? You have to understand, I had only been going out in public for about a year and I was still stealth and I was ready to shit bricks standing there talking to a state police officer about my car.

Well now I am looking to buy my third Prius, my current one I got in the winter of 2007 and it has over 120,000 miles on it. I’m still getting around 50 mile to the gallon on the highway and around 45 mpg around town (it does drop down to around 40 mpg in the winter because the engine has to run for the heater to work,). This time I want to get a plug-in Prius where you can charge the batteries from an outlet and it can get around 100 mpg.

3 comments:

  1. I should have really bought a Prius...so, I wonder after reading this...why did you have to get another one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are several reasons.
    First is that I have 120,000 miles on the car. In the past I use to buy a new car at around 60,000 when most of the warranty ran out.

    My driving habits have changed, I still drive a lot, but not like I did in the past. Now I drive more locally and I want to get the plug-in Prius

    Lastly, I like being green and the plug-in Prius get an EPA estimate mpg of around 95 mpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I have not had any problems with the car, it is still in good shape. The only thing that went on it was the headlights and they are a pain to change.

    ReplyDelete