Thursday, August 16, 2012

My Story Part 130 – Tolerance, No that’s not right word… Understanding, No that’s not the right word either.

About a month ago I wrote a blog about my trip to Fair Haven on Fire Island NY and how when a wave knocked me over I lost my wig and how a woman returned it to me. Well on Tuesday I received an email from the wife of the couple that I stayed with out on Long Island. In the email she wrote that she had talked to the woman who found my wig and she said this about the woman.
...she was the one who found and returned your wig. She said she felt so bad for you, that she had to go into the surf and get it.

...she is not very GLBT tolerant. However when I asked her why she helped you, her answer was, she was another woman who was embarrassed, so I helped her.
There are no words to express my gratitude; I was in terror of the thought of having to go home without a wig. I would have had to take the ferry back over to the main island bare headed or wearing a scarf of some sort. But this woman out of the kindness of her own heart reached out to help a stranger.

Most of the times all we hear are the bad stuff that happens to trans-people, but we rarely hear any of the good stuff. It can be something as simple as a smile or a kind work spoken or it can be a person speaking up in the face of discrimination. Or retrieving a lost wig.

2 comments:

  1. A true humanitarian, I believe, is one who does the right thing for their fellow human even when it is inspite of some of their beliefs. You met an extraordinary woman on the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe her act of humanity changed her outlook and experiences. Maybe she will be more kind toward the GLBT community, realizing we are all people.

    ReplyDelete