Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Maine Trip Part 2

I just came back from dog sitting my brother’s dog in Kennebunk and this weekend while I was there I took a trip to see some of the lighthouses in the area. I went up to Portland to photograph Portland Light, the most photographed lighthouse in Maine. The lighthouse is located in Fort Williams Park. The fort was a complete surprise; I didn’t realize that the lighthouse was located around a fort that was built in 1899 and used up until 1962. The fort played a major role in the harbor defense during WW II and I found it interested because my father was stationed in such a fort during part of WW II at Fort Wright in New York’s Fisher Island.

Here are the three lighthouses that I visited this past weekend: Portland Head Lighthouse, Cape Elizabeth Lighthouse and Cape Porpoise Lighthouse.




This time when I visited Cape Porpoise I brought my camera and I took some pictures of the town pier; the dinghies, lobster traps and pots. But the photographs cannot capture the wind blowing in your hair, the smell of the salt air, the cry of the seagulls and the sound of the surf. You need to experience all the sights and sounds of a fishing village in order to really appreciate it.



Speaking of sounds…. When I was at Cape Elizabeth, I was out on the rocky shore taking pictures with a number of other tourists and a light drizzle started. I was standing next to this thing…

A fog horn when it went off. Boy was that LOUD!!! Painfully loud, can you imagine what it was like standing next to the fog horn when it is designed to be heard miles out at sea? OHOO… Ohoo.

To see all my photo of the trip click here.

2 comments:

  1. If that fog horn would have gone off by me I think I would have jumped about a mile.

    Your photos are wonderful. I can tell you had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did and I think they were getting ready to do CPR ;-)

    ReplyDelete