Wednesday, August 08, 2007

A Trip to the New Britain Museum of American Art

It only took over thirty years to finally get to the museum. Way back in college in my Art Appreciation class we cover the Hudson River School of art and I fell in love with its beauty and the detail that went into each painting. The professor mentioned that one of the best collections the Hudson River School was at the New Britain Museum of American Art which is about five miles away. After all this time I finally went there yesterday and it was well worth the trip. I went with a friend who got passes from his local library and we wandered around there for about three hours. I spent most of my time in the Hudson River School gallery, the vibrant colors, the lighting and the attending to detail. Some of the paintings that I liked are: Bierstadt’s Seal Rock, Church’s West Rock, New Haven CT, Cole’s The Clove, Catskills and Fisher’s Stage Coach.
Another artist that the professor talked about was Thomas Hart Benton, his style is so unique that if you see one of his paintings you would know it was his and the museum had a gallery just for his murals.
To see a tour of some of their collections, click on the link to collections and then Highlights and then click on the image.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you finally got to go! At first Benton's name didn't ring a bell with me, but when I saw his work, it popped right into my head. Very stunning!

    ReplyDelete