Saturday, August 28, 2021

SATURDAY 9: FRIENDS IN LOW PLACES

Sam’s SATURDAY 9: FRIENDS IN LOW PLACES (1990)

Okay here is what happened last weekend with Henri… it was a complete fizzle for me but my childhood neighbor who now lives with her husband in Point Judith RI got hammered with Henri, the eye of the hurricane passed right over Pt. Judith.

Here is a recap of Henri:
  • Tuesday – Herni is going out to sea about a hundred miles east of Cape Cod.
  • Wednesday – No problem with going to to the Cape until a week from Friday.
  • Thursday – Henri is now forecast to make landfall between New Bedford and the Cape Cod Canal, the cottage will be on the high wind side of the storm. Batten down the hatches! I’m glad that I had those two big pines next to my cottage.
  • Friday – the storm track will now take it up the Connecticut River Valley… with the eye going right over my house! Yikes! Panic! I have a mighty oaks right next to the deck and house!
  • Saturday morning – Storm track is still going right up the middle of the state. Pack up and head for home at 9:00AM.
  • Saturday afternoon – Convoys of utility trucks from Ohio, Illinois, Canada, and other eastern states on the interstate (I cannot imagine being in a utility truck driving for 10 hours.), I get home around one, unload the car and unpack and I start taking in the lawn chairs, trash cans, anything that can be blown around and cause damage. Storm track is still going right up the middle of the state.
  • Saturday night – Just before going to bed, storm track is still going right up the middle of the state.
  • Sunday morning – Storm track is that Henri will make landfall in Rhode Island???? Hun?
  • Sunday afternoon – Still waiting for Henri, just cloudy with rain bands passing over. Wind is no worst than a summer thunderstorm.
  • Sunday late afternoon – Hello Henri? Where are you?
We ended up with 2 inches of rain and wind gusts up to 40 mph.

Here is an interesting timelapse video of the radar the storm.


~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…



Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Garth Brooks tells us he wore boots to a black-tie affair. When did you most recently get dressed up? What did you wear?

Well it is going on two years since I had to dressed up to go to a fancy shindig but when I did I wore a LBD, and heels.

2) The lyrics refer to The Oasis, which was a real bar in Concordia, Kansas. What's the name of the last bar or restaurant where you ordered a beverage? (Yes, Dunkin' counts.)
Well is Dunkin counts then it was Dunkin (decaf ice coffee and a Boston Cream donut) yesterday on my way to the car dealer for an admission test.

3) Garth was having a stellar 2021. He kicked the year off by performing "Amazing Grace" at President Biden's inauguration in January, and then over the summer he received the prestigious Kennedy Center Honor. Now that we're past the halfway mark, how's your year going?
Flying! Summer only has a few more days, where did summer go?

4) But earlier this month, Garth cancelled the remaining August and September dates of his big concert tour. He's provided refunds for the 350,000 tickets that were sold. How do you tend to react when plans change? Are you easily annoyed, or do you roll with it?
I try to roll with it, but they don’t call Connecticut the “Land of Steady Habits” however I don’t like last minute changes.

5) Before he sang about having friends in low places, Garth hung around in some. When he was as a struggling performer, he supported himself as a bouncer. What's the most physically taxing job you've ever had?
A high school summer job, loading and unloading trucks… very, very hot inside a trailer in the summer.

6) According to the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America), Garth surpassed The Beatles as the top-selling recording artist of the last 30 years. Who do you listen to more often: Garth or the Beatles?
Well since I don’t listen to Garth (it is not that he is not a good musician and singer, it just that I don’t care for country music) I would have to say the Beatles.

7) Garth and singer Trisha Yearwood have been happily married for 15 years now. Trisha says that as much as she loves her husband, his whistling drives her crazy. Come clean: what's your most annoying habit?
Since I am single I don’t have any annoying habit.

8) In 1990, when this song was a hit, Soviet President Gorbachev traveled first to Ottawa to meet Prime Minister Mulroney and then to Washington DC to meet President Bush. Do you have any travel plans? We want to hear about them, even if you aren't meeting any politicians or heads of state.
Well actually I am meeting a politician, the governor next month since I have been appointed to his council to advise him on hate crimes, we are supposed to meet with him (via Zoom) next month.
As for travel plans, I will still be traveling back and forth to the cottage.

9) Random question: Your dear friend spends weeks planning a party. After just 30 minutes, you find yourself having a terrible time. Would you leave at the earliest (polite) opportunity? Or would you stay till the bitter end out of loyalty?

Well first off it depends upon what type of party it is. Is it a dinner party, if it is I will stay until after the food have been served. If not I would stay after a respectable amount of time.

6 comments:

  1. Glad you made it through Henri!

    How cool that you and Gov. are zooming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have so many cool answers--especially #7!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Henri sounds like a dud, but that's better than a traumatizing weather event. Impressed that you are zooming with the governor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look so nice in that picture! Good for you for wearing dresses. I hate them. I stopped wearing them a few years ago.
    #8, that is so cool. I love that you get out there and make a difference. Loved your answers! Have a great weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh! I know how hot it used to get inside a school bus when I drove...I wouldn't like inside the truck trailers at all. I am no fan of high temps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your dress, purse and hairstyle. I haven't bought a new dress in a long time. I like wearing dresses in the summer if I can wear sandals with them. I am not to fond of country music overall, but there are a few good ones. I was in 4th grade when I first heard the Beatles. I Want To Hold Your Hand is one of my favorites. Good luck with your meeting!

    ReplyDelete