Tuesday, June 01, 2021

An Announcement!

I delay this morning’s post until it has become official.

I have been appointed to the Governor’s Hate Crimes Advisory Council. It is a great honor to be appointed to the governor's council and I hope that I measure up to the honor. I was appointed because I am the Executive Director of CT TransAdvocacy Coalition. 

Around the beginning of 2021 I was asked in an email if I wanted to be on the council and you know me I never turn down a request to try something new… so I said yes.

I then got a seven page form to fill out.

Then silence… oh well it would have been interesting.

Then last week I get an email saying congratulations, you have been appointed to the council!

This morning at a press conference it was made office… now I just have to figure out the duties of the council.

The law creating the council says...

(c) The council shall meet at least semiannually to encourage and coordinate programs to increase community awareness and reporting of hate crimes and to combat such crimes and make recommendations for any legislation concerning such crimes, including, but not limited to, recommendations concerning restitution for victims of such crimes, community service designed to remedy damage caused by any such crime or that is related to the commission of any such crime and additional alternative sentencing programs for first time offenders and juvenile offenders.



I have an idea of who nominated me, as many of you know I am also on the legislative LGBTQ+ Health and Human Services Network and the committee is chaired by the Executive Director of the The Commission on Women, Children, Seniors, Equity & Opportunity and I have a feeling that he put my name in the hopper since one other network member was appointed to the council. 

Looking at the names of the other members I will know at one other on the council, the former director of True Colors, and YIKES some of the other names on the council are some heavy hitters… the president of thee CT Bar Association, the Chief State’s Attorney, the Office of the Public Defenders, and other both private and government prominent people. I am humbled to be counted with them.

4 comments:

  1. congrats! everyone on the council is a heavy hitter...you indluded! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!! Just remember that you and Robin have been down with the people. You know the pulse and the heartbeat. Many times heavy hitters are busy being heavy hitters. Well we all know the rest of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is fantastic! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete