Saturday, June 19, 2021

Saturday 9: Papa, Can You Hear Me?

Sam’s Saturday 9: Papa, Can You Hear Me? (1984)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…
I am up at the cottage this week with company from Long Island.


This song was chosen in honor of Father's Day. Hear it here.

1) The song begins with a prayer to "God, our Heavenly Father." Do you often pray?
No.

2) This song is from the movie Yentl. Set in the early 1900s, it tells the story of a Polish girl determined to receive a religious education, even though the custom of the day banned girls from studying the Talmud. What subject do you wish you knew more about?
Oh… I am a Renaissance woman. Anything that attracts my attention I read, geology, space, quantum physics, mathematics, science, history… Maybe something in the humanities.

3) It took Streisand more than 15 years to get Yentl made. Studios initially rejected the project, telling her that audiences no longer want to see musicals. Then, because it centered on Judaism, she was told it was "too ethnic." But Yentl was a success at the box office, becoming one of the most profitable movies of the year -- and since Barbra was producer, director and star, she enjoyed those profits. Tell us about a time you're glad you stuck with something.
My MSW.

4) The movie, and this song, were so popular that they earned a parody on The Simpsons. (See it here.) That video has had more than 250,000 views. Before the Yentl parody, what's the last YouTube video you watched?
It was Crusader Rabbit Crusade 1 Episode 01
Long story short; on Facebook we were discussing early television stations and their programing.


5) Barbra Streisand's father died suddenly, the result of complications after an epileptic seizure, just after her first birthday. He held degrees in both English Literature and Education and was a school superintendent. Do you know anyone who made a career in education?
Yes, many teachers and administrators. My father was a teacher, a high school principal, and in charge of all the two year state technical colleges.

6) Sam's own father wasn't an educator, but he is crazy about the local library. He's there so much the librarians greet him by name. Do you have a library card?
Yes and I use it regularly, mainly for ebooks and audiobooks.

7) For family barbecues, Sam's dad proudly dons his "Kiss the Chef" apron and mans the Weber. What's the last thing you cooked on the grill?
Chicken with potatoes

8) He takes his grilling very seriously and jealously guards his marinade recipe. Do you have a recipe you're willing to share this morning?
All my recipes are here!
I made a simple website where I put the recipes that I like.

9) Sam's father hates it when his daughter swears. What's the latest curse word you used? (It's OK, we don't blush easily.)
I swear rarely, it takes an awful lot to get me to swear. Usually it is something like a result of a hammer hitting my thumb.


Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome that you have all of your recipes online! Great idea. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I liked cooking. In limited doses it's ok, but I don't like having to cook and clean up for myself every day.

    ReplyDelete