Saturday, July 13, 2019

Saturday 9: Bonanza

Sam's Saturday 9: Bonanza (1959)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…
I’m sorry about not commenting last, it’s a long story*



Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here or the more common one here.

1) Bonanza ran on NBC for 14 seasons. Today it's rerun on Me-TV and TVLand. Were/are you a fan?
Oh yes, I loved the show

2) The show centers on The Cartwrights, who lived on a massive ranch in Nevada. License plates in Nevada read, "The Silver State." What's on your license plate?
The Constitution State

3) Ben Cartwright made his fortune as a cattle rancher. What's the last beef dish you ate?
Last night a big thick medium rare steak, corn and potatoes.

4) Patriarch Ben had his eldest son, Adam, with his refined, bookish first wife, Elizabeth. Unfortunately, Elizabeth died in childbirth. Still Adam inherited her love of the written word. What's the last book you finished?
I am on an audio book craze right now so the last book I listen to was Two to Conquer by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It an excellent series written back from the mid-sixties. If you want to read the Darkover series I suggest starting with these books…
The Shattered Chain (1976)
Thendara House (1983)
City of Sorcery (1984)

5) Ben's second son, Hoss, was born to his second wife, Inger, who was killed as the family traveled West by wagon train. Hoss inherited her open, friendly manner and her way with animals. Are there pets in your home?
No, I like pets but they are too much of a responsibility, it is hard to go anyplace when you have pets.

6) Ben's youngest, Joe, arrived after Ben married a third time to the passionate Marie, who died in a riding accident when her son was only five years old. Little Joe inherited her impetuosity. Do you consider yourself more spontaneous or predictable?
More predictable… I hate spontaneity.

7) Samuel Clemons was a reporter in Virginia City at the time when the Cartwrights would have been there, and a fictionalized version of Mr. Clemons appeared in an episode of Bonanza. Without looking it up, do you know Samuel Clemons' famous pen name?
Oh yes it is 24 feet.
Did you know that he lived in Hartford? I have visited his house a couple of times. His next-door neighbor was Harriet Beecher Stowe.

8) Hair was a big deal in the Bonanza dressing room. Three of the original four stars -- Lorne Greene, Pernell Roberts and Dan Blocker -- all wore hairpieces. (The fourth, Michael Landon, began dying his hair while still in his 20s because he was going prematurely gray.) Have you ever worn a wig or a hairpiece?
I wear a wig all times when I go out.

9) Random question -- Tell us the story behind one of your scars.
Well you see I have this scar over my right eye, it is in the shape of a “C.”

That’s a funny shape for a scare… Well you see I was fencing with my brother with curtain rods, he lunged and I got stabbed just about the eye. We couldn’t sit for a week.


Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend.

*Last week I strained my back on Monday the 1st and it was very hard to move around without pain. Since I could rest my back at home just as much as at the cottage and at home I have A/C while at the cottage it was 80 and the humidity was 90% I decided to come home on Saturday… Big mistake!

I knew I was going to hit a lot of traffic and I did. It was backed up all the way until around the Orleans rotary to the Sagamore Bridge. A normal 30 – 45 minute drive turned in to two hour drive moving along at around 15 mph but at times it was stop and go for about 40 miles!

So I left the cottage at 11 and expected to get home around 3 but instead I got home around 5, completely beat, as the song say “Strung out from the road.”

6 comments:

  1. Your response to #5 is exactly why we dicided after our cat that we didnt want another pet... and when I hear how much money our friends spend of their vet bills I am glad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. f/y/1
    wbez.org/shows/wbez-news/transgender-woman-released-from-illinois-prison-after-long-battle/91d6a802-92f5-44d8-bc1a-8c34e26aeed1

    p.s. I like Bonanza too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your back is better. I head straight to the chiropractor when my back is acting up. It is misery! Loved your answers! Have a great weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I read a couple of Marion Zimmer Bradley books in the Avalon series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you feel better. I read a couple of Bradley books and I like fantasy, but for some reason I never really got into her. Maybe I should try again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoy re-reading sci-fi and fantasy from the 70s and 80s....

    ReplyDelete