Wednesday, July 24, 2019

There Is Out And Then There Is OUT!

Miqqi Gilbert at Fantasia Fair said that once when she was talking about giving an interview for the college newspaper and the article was picked up by the Canadian biggest newspaper.

It is true. You can be out locally but you can cross that line and all of sudden you are in the “spot light.”

What happens then?

If you do a Google vanity search on my name there are over 790,000 results and I fall under the “OUT” category.

So why am I writing this? It is because if you are thinking about making a YouTube video, or writing a blog, or giving an interview… think! Do you want everyone in the world knowing you are trans? Do you want the hate emails and comments that go with being “OUT” from both the cisgender world and the trans community?

The trans community? Yes, the trans community some of the harshest comments come from within our community.
Transgender people find a home on YouTube but challenges remain
CNN Business
By Kaya Yurieff,
June 25, 2019

New York (CNN Business)For a trans person, YouTube can be an extremely valuable resource. It's a place where they can find — and share — personal stories of gender transitions, identity struggles and journeys through surgeries and hormone treatments.

The Google-owned (GOOG) video platform has ignited a community of social media stars, known as creators, making videos about virtually everything, from gadget reviews and beauty tutorials to topics relevant to LGBTQ people.

Trans creator Reed Wetmore said YouTube has been a "lifeline" for the trans community.
"Making my videos and watching other creators on YouTube gave me strength. Seeing other trans men on YouTube being so much farther in their journeys gave me a lot of hope," he told CNN Business. "When some family and friends didn't react the way I hoped they would [to me coming out], I went back to YouTube and found some solace and comfort there in the community."
When I was in the closet it was the internet that showed me that it was possible to live my life in my true gender. I read Dr. Becky’s blog, I read Melanie Phillips website, and a number of other “OUT” trans people and they helped me to come eventually to come out.

I started blog in April 2000 and if you look down the page on the right you will see a link to the old GeoCities website and it is still on the web. Nothing on the web ever goes away.

What I am trying to say is “Beware” when you come out on the internet with your true name it will be there forever!

If you are a teenager, when you graduate from school and you start looking for a job your prospective employer might do a Google search, or if you are dating someone they might do a search… do you want them to find out you are trans? When you are forty, will you want everyone to know that you are trans?

I am not saying “Don’t Do It!” what I am saying is to think first. Do you want to list your true name or an alias? Notice on my blog nowhere will you find my last name and I do that on purpose to keep my online presents separate from my life.

1 comment:

  1. Even commenting on the internet can out you. OOps, there I go again! Oh well. :-)

    ReplyDelete