Friday, June 07, 2019

Guns

I was reading an article on the town budget and $200,000 will be spent next year on school police officers (I refuse to call them “resource officers” they are police officers and can and do make arrests, more on that latter), multiply that for all the towns in the state and around the country… that’s billions of dollars each year.

I am old enough to remember that “and” used to mean something.

Then came Reagan who packed the court with justices handpicked by the NRA (just like Trump is doing with “religious freedom.”) and they disregarded “and” giving gun rights fanatics unlimited rights to buy, carry, and own any type of weapon.1

Before that ruling the Second Amendment was interpreted as not giving unfettered individual right to a gun.

Now we have laws that say shoot first ask questions later, they give the law a fancy name “Stand Your Ground” of course the other person doesn’t have a say because they’re dead.

Now we have “Open Carry” laws where people are walking the streets with AR-15s and one guy walked into a bank with a pistol on his him. When the bank official called the police and the police came and questioned him why he had a gun he refused to say, the bank official told him to leave. The last that I read he was suing the bank and police for the audacity of questioning why he had a gun in a bank.

One time I was in the check-out line at a grocery store and I noticed a guy in another line with a pistol on his hip and a CCDL tee shirt on… now what the hell did he need a gun to go grocery shopping?

And now we have to turn our school into prisons with armed police officers patrolling the hallways, metal detectors, surrounded by chain-linked fences what are we teaching the children?

I AM NOT AGAINST GUNS!

I am against “open carry,” large capacity magazines, assault style weapons, ghost guns, and I am for universal background checks including private sales.

I have gone small game (rabbits, woodchucks, etc.), I took skeet shooting for a gym class in college, and many of my friends own guns. For me I don’t want guns in my house, but that is my opinion and I respect other responsible gun owners.

So what sparked this rant?

A meme yesterday. It said that more Americans have been murdered in the U.S. since the first of the year than on D-Day the bloodiest landing in history… let that sink in.
The D-Day invasion killed 4,413 soldiers; over 6,000 people have been killed by guns this year so far.2.

1. How the NRA Rewrote the Second Amendment
2. More Americans were shot to death by March 6 this year than died on D-Day

Before the police officers they used to hand out detentions and suspensions for school violations now they arrested and it becomes a “school-to-prison pipeline.” It gives school officials a chance to wipe their hands of the incident and pass it off to the police.

No comments:

Post a Comment