Saturday, June 01, 2019

Saturday 9: It's Late

Sam’s Saturday 9: It's Late (1959)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…



Unfamiliar with this week's song. Hear it here.

1) Ricky Nelson laments that he should have been home hours ago. When is the last time you stayed up later than you should have? What were you doing?
The Saturday before Memorial Day, I had a party at my house and it didn’t break up until 11.

2) Compounding Ricky's problem is that he's nearly out of gas. How is your gas tank right now? When did you most recently fill 'er up?
On the way up to Cape Cod, I didn’t want to buy gas on the Cape; it is twenty to thirty cents more.

3) It gets worse! He can't call home because he doesn't have a dime for the pay phone. Have you recently been in a situation where you've been glad you had your cell phone handy?
No, but I wish a friend did. She stayed overnight at the party and she forgot he meds, some of the meds were expensive and couldn’t miss taking them. I called her cell and home phone and left her a voice mail, she lives 3 hours away so when she got home she had to turn around and come back to my house.

4) The video for this song is from an episode of The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet. Ozzie Nelson, Ricky's father, was in charge of the show and made the rules. One was that no one was allowed to smoke on the set ... except his wife, Harriet. Do you smoke? Have you ever lived with a smoker?
Well it depends upon what type of smoke you’re smoking. Cigarettes I smoke about one week when I was around 10 or 11 and my father caught me! I couldn’t sit for a week.

5) Life magazine coined the phrase "teen idol" to describe Ricky's popularity. According to Tiger Beat, today's teen idols include Johnny Orlando and Ruby Jay. Johnny was born in 2003, Ruby in 2004. Sam admits that before today, she had no idea who these young people are. How about you?
Nope, never heard from them.

6) While Paul McCartney and Bob Dylan have posthumously praised Ricky Nelson's music, 1950s music critics dismissed him as a lightweight. What's the last review you read? Was it written by a professional critic, or was it contributed by a consumer to a site like Amazon or Yelp?
It was on Amazon and Home Depot reviews

7) At the height of his popularity, Ricky tried his hand at movies, appearing in the western Rio Bravo with John Wayne. He turned 18 during the filming, and Wayne celebrated by playfully throwing Ricky into a sack of horse manure. Do you think pranks and practical jokes are funny?
Nope, you are getting laughs at other people expense.

8) In 1959, when this song was popular, the St. Lawrence Seaway was completed. It connects Canada to our Great Lakes. Without looking it up, can you name all 5 Great Lakes?
Yes.
Erie, Ontario, Huron, Michigan, and Superior

9) Random question – You drive past a local motel and see the car of a very married friend right there in the lot. Would you ask her about it?
Nope.
I would give them the benefit of the doubt, maybe they had a fire in their house.


Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Your answer to #9 is just like mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The motel thing...we used to stay at a motel when we would visit Oklahoma, it would be my mom, dad, my son and myself...well my family (Aunts and Uncles) would come visit that hotel...so it could just be family visiting someone too. I still would not notice, but now I say I would just not say anything either.
    Now that you mention Home Depot, it reminds me I need to look at washing machines. There is something wrong with ours and if it costs too much to fix, we will have to get a new one. I need to be checking on what is available.
    I am so glad your party went well except for the medication thing. I have actually done that before too. I was about 2 hours away and had to drive back. It was a good lesson for me to learn. I have been careful to not forget after that. Loved your answers! Have a great weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! I have had a similar thing happen as your friend having to turn right around and make the three hour trip back, thus actually having a 9 hour trip. It made me so angry with myself! You're right, that would be one time it would be really good to have a cell phone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You still need to post photos of your Cape cottage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, your poor friend. That is a rough time right there. And I loved your answer to number 9. Way to give someone the benefit of the doubt.

    ReplyDelete