Saturday, August 18, 2018

Saturday 9: It's a Jungle Out There

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: It's a Jungle Out There (Theme from Monk) (2003)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…



Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This week's song is the theme from the detective show that ran from 2002-2009. Were you a fan?
Not a fan but I watched it off and on.

2) The song warns us about the air we breathe and the water we drink. Does your home have an air or water filter?
No, our water is very clean. It all comes from either reservoirs surrounded by woods or deep wells.

(Yikes! I keep forgetting to clean the air filters on my furnace... Stacy's post. Out  of sight, out of mind)

3) The lyrics say, "People say I'm crazy to worry all the time." Are you a worrier? Or do you just take things as they come?
Yes, my brother says that I inherited our mother’s worry genes.

4) TV's Adrian Monk is known for his outstanding deductive powers, an homage to Sherlock Holmes. Have you read any of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's books featuring Sherlock Holmes?
I don’t think so.



5) Monk was also known for fastidiousness and precision, an homage to Hercule Poirot. Have you read any of Agatha Christie's books featuring Poirot?
No I haven’t, but I watch it on PBS.

6) This song was written and performed by Grammy and Emmy winner Randy Newman. Do you have any trophies or plaques?
Many, about a dozen of them.

7) Before winning an Oscar in 2001, Mr. Newman had the distinction of having the most nominations (15) without a win. Do you consider yourself a graceful loser?
I never lose!
JK, I don’t look at life as being winning or losing, I just go through life doing the best that I can.

8) In 2003, when this song was introduced, Lance Armstrong won his fifth Tour de France. Later, he was disgraced in a doping scandal. Can you think of a time when a hero disappointed you?
Hero? What’s a hero?
I don’t think sports players are heroes.
I believe heroes are those who put other lives ahead of theirs. The bystander who rushes to a burning car to pull out the driver is a hero, not an athlete who scores the most touchdowns or wins the most tournaments.
I met a SEAL Team 1 veteran who was awarded the Bronze Star and a Purple Heart; she said she did it not to win medals but to save her buddies lives.

9) Random question -- We're catering lunch. Should we put you down for a burger or a taco?
After have a number of burgers lately (and more today at a picnic this afternoon) I think I’ll have the tacos

Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

7 comments:

  1. #6 -- Wow! Impressive! What did you do to win all those trophies and plaques?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One was from the LGBT Chamber of Commerce
      One was from a non-profit that goes out an speaks to schools and colleges about discrimination
      One was from an organization that fights housing discrimination.
      Two were community service awards
      Well get you the idea.

      Delete
  2. You are right about the heroes! Great answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. #1 is the same for me--I didn't have cable tv when it was on, so I only saw it occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you about heroes. I had trouble with that one because I don't really have "heroes" that I look up to as role models. I am me and I don't want to be anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for tacos. And, I share your worries. I think women worry more because they just see all the emotional wreckage that's around them from so many, many crass actions. I agree about Heroes, too. They are not sports figures, unless they are like Lou Gehrig.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was great thinking on the heroes question. Role models are different than heroes. Though a hero can be a role model.

    ReplyDelete