Saturday, August 04, 2018

Saturday 9: Along Comes a Friend

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: Along Comes a Friend (Theme from Kate and Allie) (1984)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…



Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This week's song is the theme from Kate and Allie, a sitcom that ran from 1984 to 1989. Were you a fan?
Nope, I watched it a couple of times but I am not much of a fan of sitcoms

2) The show was about two divorced women who live and raise their children together. Were you ever a single parent? Were you raised by a single parent?
Only after I was 54 years old when my mother died.

3) Allie is proud that she can make a perfect cup of coffee: "Just the essence of the bean. No acidity." Kate is proud that she can belch the alphabet. What are you proud of?
A couple of times I have been stopped by a social worker in a store or in a restaurant to tell me that because of the training that I give to them that they knew what to do when a client came out to them as trans.

4) Kate and Allie share half of a duplex in Greenwich Village. Many episodes had them doing laundry in the basement. Where are your washer and dryer?
Well right now 200 miles away since I’m up at the cottage. But at home they are in a room just off of the kitchen.

5) Kate was played by Susan St. James. She was familiar to viewers as the "wife" in McMillan and Wife. Without looking it up, do you know who played McMillan?
I never really pay attention to their names. It my memory serves me, his wife was Susan St. James.

6) Allie was played by Jane Curtin. She was one of three women in the original Saturday Night Live cast. Without looking it up, can you name the other two?
That was way past my bedtime.

7) On the set, Jane Curtin ran a poker game for the cast and crew. Do you think winning at poker takes more luck or skill?
Yes both. You have the luck of the draw and the skill in playing the hand that you were dealt.

8) The Kate & Allie theme was cowritten and sung by John Lefler. Years later, Mr. Lefler wrote the theme for the Pokemon show. Is anyone in your life into Pokemon?
Ugh… no thank goodness.

9) Random question: What's the last thing you whispered?
Probably at a legislative hearing.

Right now I am up at the cottage but I will be driving home this morning so I will not be able to approve your comments until I get home.

6 comments:

  1. I think the help you give is FAR more important than being able to make a good cup of coffee or belch the alphabet! Don't sell yourself short!

    What do you have against Pokemon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing rally, it just that I can't see running around following clues and also my Facebook feed was flooded with posts about the game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 200 miles away is a good place for the washer and dryer. Enjoy your laundry-free weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are magnificent in the way you help others and work towards your goals of equality.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live across the street from some sort of valuable Pokemon Go spot, and I'm always amazed by the people who play that game day and night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet that felt good to know you are inspiring others. Enjoy your cottage

    ReplyDelete