Saturday, September 26, 2026

Saturday 9: Don't Take Your Love from Me

Saturday 9: Don't Take Your Love from Me (1956)
On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun… 


 Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) In this song, Doris Day sings about what happens when you take a petal from a rose. When did you last get or give flowers as a gift? 
Um… never.

2) This song is about a woman who fears losing her love. What's the most recent thing you lost? (Hopefully it's not as consequential as a great love. It could be as small or unimportant as the back of one of your pierced earrings.) 
A crown.
Yep, a crown.
I’m just waiting for it to come back.

3) Doris was known as The All-American Girl Next Door. Who lives next door to you? 
I’m in a good neighborhood. But it is a graying neighborhood, the two neighbors on either side, their children just went off to college. And the neighbors across the street had their grandchildren over.
 
4) As a young girl, Doris Day was passionate about dance. She recalled that concentrating on her lessons helped distract her from the pain and embarrassment of her parents' divorce. When you want to escape from what's troubling you, what do you do?
Photography.

5) The maitre d' at one of Doris' favorite restaurants wanted to ask her out. Knowing how she loved her dogs, he impressed her by handing her a bag of meat scraps and bones to take home. They began dating and, in 1976, he became her last husband. What's the best way to your heart? 
Lobster.

6) Over her long career, Doris received Golden Globe and Grammy Awards and the Presidential Medal of Freedom. She was also inducted into the Ohio Women's Hall of Fame, honored for being one of the most celebrated women to have been born there. Name a famous person born in your home state.
Katharine Hepburn
Gary Burghoff
Peter Tork
 
7) She was frank about her financial difficulties, yet some people are uncomfortable discussing money. Are you one of those people?
Kind of.

8) In 1956, when Doris released this song, The Wizard of Oz was shown on network TV for the first time. What movie have you seen multiple times?

9) Random question: Would you rather have a chef or a chauffeur?
Since I hate driving through the Tappan Zee area in New York and going through Providence so right now I’ll go with the chauffeur.


So, what’s new in the Diana household? Well, as stated above, a crown recovery! Otherwise, it's thousands of dollars for a new one. If I find the old one, it will only be a couple of hundred bucks to glue it back in.

Right now, we are in a state of PANIC, we are in the grip of a Nor’easter! I was going to go grocery shopping for just some odds and ends and then I thought: “Diana are you crazy? Everyone and his brother will be to get some odds and ends. I can live without for now.

Where I live, we are on the fringe, but it's in the low fifties with a 20 to 30 mph wind. However, Cape Cod is set to get tropical-force winds of 50 to 60 mph, along with heavy rain. And of course, I’m worried… I still have my patio furniture outside, and I can only wonder where it's going to end up. Outages are piling up on the Cape and here... here is the outage map.

So if everything comes out right as planned I should be back up to the Cape around mid-week.

No comments:

Post a Comment