Saturday, September 05, 2026

Sat 9!

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Lee Dorsey sings that at 5:00 he's already on the job. What were you doing this morning at 5:00 AM?
Reading the news online.

2) He's worked so hard all week that he's too tired to enjoy his weekend. What are you doing for fun this holiday weekend?
Well a friend is coming up to the Cape for the weekend.

3) Lee Dorsey was raised in Portland Oregon, home of the Portland Trailblazers. The NBA season kicks off next month. Do you have a favorite basketball team?
I don’t even have a favorite sports team.
But you opened up a good questions.
Team loyalty. Is it a two way street?
The Mohegan Sun’s built a big fan base here and many of their star players were local UConn grads. Poof! They’re gone! Down to Texas! The tribe took the money and ran. The loyal fan base? They are stunned.
And you wonder why I don’t have a favorite sports team.

4) This song was written by Allen Toussaint, who had a long career as a composer and producer. He produced Fats Domino in the late 1950s and worked with Elvis Costello and Paul McCartney into the new millennium. What job have you held the longest?
For 29 years, 7 months, and a few day. And for 25 of those years as the department manager.
Here is a little fact… June 2027 I will be retired for 20 years.
Well I did have a nine year stretch as an executive director of a non-profit but that wasn’t paid.

5) In 1966, the year this song was popular, celebrity chef Gordon Ramsey was born. Are you a good cook?
Fair to fair to middling. But I do like to cook.

6) 1966 was the year when more Americans purchased color TVs and black and white sets. When you were a kid, did your family have a black and white TV?
Yes. And we got color TV when they first came out. I remember going to the town appliance store and seeing all the color TVs! Wow.

7) Labor Day is a big weekend for mattress sales. Do you plan on buying a new mattress before the year is out?
Nope… my last water bed last 25 years.

8) Though kids go back to class earlier these days, store aisles are still full of school supplies. When she was a little girl, Sam was crazy about her big box of 96 Crayola Crayons with a sharpener in the back. Share one of your back-to-school memories.
My first day of school! Ever.
Every telephone pole, ever fence anything I could hold on to I grabbed. I didn’t want to go to school! I wore my mother out and my grandmother had to drag me to school. Literally.

9) Labor Day weekend is the unofficial beginning of fall. Have you had any pumpkin spice yet?
UGH! I tried it once when they got my order mixed up and almost gagged.



I don't know what was going on yesterday, there has been nothing in the paper or on the town's Facebook pages about it but for about an hour a Coast Guard helicopter was flying around town... a lot of sirens.

The last time that happened there was a shark attack at the Cape Cod National Seashore.
 

And 90 years ago, my parents were married in White Plains New York and honeymooned in Boston & Provincetown.

3 comments:

  1. Pumpkin doesn’t belong in coffee. Today would have been my parents wedding anniversary too. 9/5/45. Out of town for a few days visiting family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice picture of your parents. My parents were married in a chapel because my dad was Catholic and my mom was Methodist. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same thing was true with my parents. My father was a Catholic and my mother an Episcopalian. I always wonder why a grandmother sent their anniversary card in January and not now in September. It turned that was when they were married in a Catholic church.

      Delete