Saturday, September 12, 2026

Saturday 9: Devil in the Bottle

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun… 
 
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song begins with T. G. Sheppard taking off his shoes to slip into the house with disturbing his sleeping wife. Are you wearing shoes as you answer these questions?
Nope, I’m writing this in bed.

2) His wife hears him anyway. Are you a light sleeper?
Not really, it vary from time to time.

3) This is the first of 22 consecutive #1 hits for T. G. Sheppard. Not bad for a high school dropout. What's the last year of education that you completed?
Graduate.

4) He was born William Browder and chose the stage name T. G. Sheppard just because he liked the sound of it. He says "T. G." doesn't stand for anything, and he gets a kick out of fans who insist there's some secret meaning behind the initials. Since most of us didn't choose our names: Is there a story behind your name? Did your parents tell you why they chose it? (If you did choose your name, share what influenced your decision.)
Well I was originally named after the family doctor.
I chose my name from Greek mythology… in old books had about a god who got the other gods mad at him and the changed him into the goddess Diana. (Notice they thought that being a woman was a punishment.)

5) It was after hours at a Memphis roller rink when he first met Elvis and his entourage. As T. G. was leaving, Elvis was entering and asked if he wanted to stay and skate longer. T. G. was confused because he knew the place was closing for the night. "Not for me," Elvis replied and T. G. skated with Elvis and his buddies until dawn. Are you good on roller skates?
Yeah, when I skate I keep ambulance drivers in business.
Actually I think the last time I strapped roller skates on I was about ten.

6) T. G. loves NASCAR and was an associate sponsor of the Folgers Chevrolet. He enjoyed the collaboration with the coffee company and has performed the familiar jingle – "the best part of waking up is Folgers in your cup" – in concert. Are you loyal to a particular coffee brand?
The only time I usually drink coffee is when at meetings they only have coffee. The other time I drink coffee is when I travel… one large Dunkin coffee is good for 200 miles.

7) T. G. understands the lifestyle of his fans. That's why he named his live country music venue Guitars and Cadillacs. If you were going to name a business after two of your favorite things, what would you call it?
Him... how can I merge two of my favorite things... photography and eating. Maybe "Eye Candy"

8) In 1974, when this week's song was on the country charts, Linda Ronstadt was getting a lot of radio airplay with "You're No Good." That song is about a real cad. Let's turn that around: Who is the nicest person you know?
Oh… I hate naming names.
They know who they are, they are the ones who care about others, they have a heart of gold.
 
9) Random question: Have you ever had your palm read?
Only when the doctor was pulling the inch splinter out of my palm. The doctor was impressed.



I’m back in Connecticut for a doctors and dentist appointment. Then head back up to the cottage until the end of October.

No comments:

Post a Comment