Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Caught My Eye.

I was scanning Yahoo News when I ran across an article on an interview in Glamor with Amy Schneider the Jeopardy champion and one question caught my eye…

You’ve consistently used your platform to champion transgender rights. Earlier this month, you took a break from Jeopardy-posting to testify against SB454 in Ohio while the tournament was airing. Could you talk a little bit about that experience and what’s it like to have assumed the role of activist?

I was disappointed. I didn't want to take the focus away from the Tournament of Champions, but when hearing what was happening, that’s what I had to do. One thing about being trans is that by existing you are sort of an activist. By refusing to hide yourself, it’s an act of activism to leave your home. It’s something that you’re already, to some extent, comfortable with. And it’s been so discouraging these last few years to see these backlash bills coming along. People targeting children who can’t fight back to score these political points and really putting children in danger. Children will die as a result of these policies. I know trans kids in Ohio. I had to do something to try and fight for them.

Yup. That is how I became an activists.

1 comment:

  1. Yes. Yet even our kids are forced to be activists for their lives too and that is to the everlasting shame of everyone that has made that be so. Not that they'll feel it, hate obscures shame.

    ReplyDelete