Saturday, December 07, 2019

Saturday 9: The Champion

Sam’s Saturday 9: The Champion (2018)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…



Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is about doing what it takes to win. What's the most recent competition you won? (Yes, online solitaire counts.)
Since I am not a competitive person, I haven’t done anything to have won. I don’t even play online solitaire I just play solitaire and hearts.

Okay my mini rant…
I don’t believe in doing anything to win. I feel that you play within the rules and losing is part of playing.

2) The lyrics tell us to "go ahead and put your bets on me." Do you often play games of chance -- like the office football pool, or slot machines, or the lottery?
I play almost zero games off chance. When the lottery is up to $500 million I might by a ticket or two just to dream.

3) The video includes footage of young people competing in The Special Olympics. What's your favorite sport to watch? Is it the same sport you most enjoying playing?
Um… none. Oh wait a minute… if I see that the America’s Cup is on then I will watch that.

4) This week's featured artist, Carrie Underwood, first came to America's attention when she won on American Idol. Prior to competing on that show, she'd never been on an airplane. How old were you when you took your first flight?
Around 15 teen we went down to Cape Canaveral my father had a conference there that included a tour of the Kennedy Space Port, we has a VIP tour.

5) Carrie loves horror and her favorite author is Stephen King. What book are you currently reading?
Well not reading but listening to… The Hallowed Hunt by Lois McMaster Bujold.

6) Carrie's duet partner on "The Champion" is rapper Ludacris. In addition to making music, he acts and has appeared in one Sam's favorite shows, Law & Order: SVU. What's your favorite "cop show?"
Um… once again none. I used to watch NCIS but that has changed too much to a point where I don’t like it anymore. It seems like the shows compete with one another to see who has the most blood and guts or they espouse “the ends justifies the means,” that bending the law is okay.

7) Ludacris is a distant cousin of comedian Richard Pryor. Have you studied your family's genealogy?
No but other family members have.

8) Soccer was a big deal in 2018, the year this song was released. According to Google, "FIFA World Cup" was the news story that generated the most internet searches. What's the last thing you "googled?"
How to spell “espouse”

9) Random question: You're battling the flu. The doctor advises you to stay in bed a full five days. As you begin feeling better (around Day 3), do you continue to follow doctor's orders? Or do you get up and start moving before you're supposed to?
Yes, I follow the doctor’s orders because once I didn’t and I came down with pneumonia (the second thing I googled, how to spell pneumonia my nemesis).

Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Good girl for being a good patient! That is the smart way to go (even if I don't follow my own advice).

    ReplyDelete
  2. #6--I totally agree! Too much unnecessary violence and car chases and shootouts. That's not reality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Bujold, but I haven't read that book. I will have to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to play Solitaire on line, but on my own terms. No competition and at my own speed.
    I love to watch the America's Cup. We got to see one of the races off of Pt. Loma one year when it was here. Stars and Stripes won that one. 1988

    ReplyDelete