Thursday, December 26, 2019

We Know.

We know that we are trans at an early age, for me I can remember saying my prays at night an praying to wake up a girl, this was when I was about seven or eight.
Transgender children sense their gender identities at young ages
Reuters
By Lisa Rapaport
December 25, 2019

(Reuters Health) - Transgender children may start to identify with toys and clothes typical of their gender identity from a very young age, a recent study suggests.

And their confidence in their gender identity is generally as strong as that of cisgender children, whose identity matches their sex assigned at birth, researchers found.

“Trans kids are showing strong identities and preferences that are different from their assigned sex,” lead author Selin Gulgoz said in a press statement. “There is almost no difference between these trans- and cisgender kids of the same gender identity - both in how, and the extent to which, they identify with their gender or express that gender.”
[…]
The transgender kids showed strong preferences for toys and clothing typically associated with their gender identity, not their assigned sex, the study found. Their preferences didn’t appear to differ based on how long they had lived as their current gender.
When I was little five  or six I used to play with the girl down the street, it was too long ago to remember what we played but what I do remember is that my parents used to call her a “tomboy,” I always wondered what became of her? Is she a lesbian? Is he a trans man now? Or did she just get married and raise a family? Another thing that I remember through the haze of time was my parents forbidding me to play with her anymore, there was something about setting her closet on fire and that also makes me wonder was she just playing with candles in the closet or did she hate her clothes?

When my parents passed away and I was going through the boxes of photos I came across this photo from one of my birthday parties.

Notice I had all neighbor girls over for my party.

When a child transitions it isn’t easier than transitioning as an adult but rather different. They have their own unique set of problems.



Then there is the problems when a parent transitions…
Dear Abby: Some loved ones uncomfortable with my transgender parent
Couple wants to celebrate new baby but fears family members will decline rather than face the relative who transitioned.
By Abigail Van Buren
December 26, 2019

DEAR ABBY: We are expecting our first child after many years of struggling with infertility. We are overjoyed, to say the least.

I have a wonderful parent who used to be my father but who now identifies as a woman I’ll call “Grace.” She’s a supportive, loving, wonderful parent, and always was.

The problem is, the rest of the family has yet to see her transition. They are aware of what has happened, but are not comfortable with it. One family member keeps insisting that Grace is not transgender, just “confused.” She says that if she ever saw Grace dressed as a woman, she would laugh.

When it comes to a celebration for our bundle of joy, how do I handle this? I can’t imagine having the celebration without Grace, and I wouldn’t dream of asking her to dress as a male because I know how uncomfortable she would be. But I’m afraid if she attends, none of the other family will come because they are so uncomfortable. — TRANSPARENT IN NEVADA

DEAR TRANSPARENT: Grace is not “confused.” People do not change their gender identity on a lark. The transition is time-consuming and difficult. Grace deserves to be treated with compassion and common courtesy. Make this clear to your family members. If you feel that one or more of them would be so rude as to ridicule your parent, strike them from your guest list.
It is hard on the family because not everyone might be accepting, many LGBTQ+ are thrown out of their family once they come out. Many trans parents never see their children again, at least here in Connecticut DCF will not cut them off from their children, not like in the old day when the courts would not let them see their children at all.

Yesterday, I went over to my cousin’s daughter’s house for Christmas.

Way back in 2007 when I transitioned, my cousin was the first family member to invited me over to the holidays  as Diana.

1 comment:

  1. I don't totally agree with Abby's advice. While I do think it is important to invite a trans family member to family events, I don't believe it wise to strike others from the list just because they may express their aversion to being in the same room with a trans family member. If someone is so full of hate that they would want to come with the intention of being rude, peer pressure would shut them down. I've been there and done that, and I would so much rather have someone speak to my face than behind my back. I have managed to turn things around by just being my confident self. If another family member would rather stay home than see me, though, they will eventually learn who's losing out.

    ReplyDelete