Saturday, January 27, 2018

Saturday 9: Heartbreak Hotel

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: Heartbreak Hotel (1956) 



On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Elvis checked in to the hotel at the end of Lonely Street. Where was the last hotel or motel you stayed at?
Down in New Jersey for Thanksgiving, the family had Thanksgiving at my niece’s.

2) He sings that Heartbreak Hotel is always crowded. The fear of crowds is so prevalent that it has four names (enochlophobia, ochlophobia, demophobia and agoraphobia). Are you comfortable in a crowd?
Nope not at all… my introvert clock starts running until I get antsy and have to leave. It wasn’t bad at the Women’s March because it was out in the open.

3) The desk clerk at Heartbreak Hotel is dressed black. Do you often wear all black?
Yes, sometimes. Today I have a black turtleneck and black tights with black Maryjane’s. But I have a denim skirt and jacket with a gold necklace.

4) The song was written by Mae Boren Axton, who said it was inspired by the story of an anonymous young man's suicide in a hotel. She said she read in The Miami Herald that the John Doe left behind a note that said, "I walk a lonely street." What's the last note you handwrote? (Hopefully it was more upbeat.)
It was a note to the guy who plows my driveway and mows my lawn (not now but in the summer).

5) When Elvis was 11, his parents bought him a guitar. He had asked for a rifle, but his mama convinced him a guitar was a better idea. Tell us about a time one of your parents was right about something.
Oh that is hard because they passed away over ten years ago and them being right probably did happen but who wants to remember when your parents said “I told you so.”

6) Not long before "Heartbreak Hotel" was recorded, Elvis' father recommended he give up the guitar and become a truck driver. Tell us about a time one of your parents was wrong about something.
They thought I was an angel and my brother always got into trouble, boy were they wrong about me. I bet you they would roll over in their graves if they found out that I used to go to motorcycle gangs keg parties and my nickname was “Enstien.”

7) There are many stories about Elvis' manager, Col. Tom Parker. One anecdote, about his career before Elvis, has the Colonel painting sparrows yellow so he could sell them as canaries. Have you ever been ripped off?
Yes and even to this day I still have trouble dealing with it, it still hurts. My parents’ house cleaner ripped off my mother’s 10 dollar gold coin from 1897

8) Speaking of birds, Elvis once owned a peacock. It damaged his cars, so he gave it to the Memphis Zoo. In earlier days, it might have been dinner, for peacock was considered a medieval delicacy. What's the last poultry you prepared?
Chicken stew.

9)  Random question: You and a friend have dinner at a restaurant. Your friend left her wallet at home, so you pick up the entire tab of $62, including tip. A few weeks later, you two meet for lunch and when the bill comes, she puts down half. Do you remind her that she still owes you $31 from the last time you dined together?
I would not have said anything except to one person who also does that to us when we go out to eat and they are loaded. They own a hundred acres with a 50 acre pond and they have a McMansion. He owns a dozen antique motorcycles, a couple of antique cars and trucks and drives a $185,000 car. But when we go out to eat he always has a drink orders an appetizer, a big meal, dessert and has a coffee, then he says we should divide the check.



My post for the Women’s March in Hartford

6 comments:

  1. Not that I know you, except from the Saturday 9, but you hanging out with motorcycle gangs really stretches my imagination! You sure must have changed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you went to the women's march. That was a big ripoff, and I can see why it would still hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So there really is an introvert clock. I was always suspicious of whether or not I was right and it actually existed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A biker dude! wow!

    And #9 is a real crook. Hope you don't do any business with him. If you shake his hand, count your fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry about that coin. That sucks.

    You've got me thinking a pair of black maryjanes would be a worthy addition to my wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete