Monday, January 01, 2007

We Burn-out Our Leaders

It is a common phenomenon in support groups and service organizations, leadership burn-out. So few people are willing to step forward to help out that the same leaders run the organization year in and year out until they throw their hands up and walk away. The members think, well they are doing a good job so they don’t need me. But that is not true; we always need people in the wings so to speak to learn the ropes. We need people to sit in on meetings, to listen, to help out on projects so that over time they will be able to step up when needed. We need you to be more than a member; we need you to be involved.

It is not just in the trans community that I am talking about, it is all organizations. My father was in a national service organization that worked with high school kid to teach them leadership skills and to provide college scholarships. He use to complain that no one wanted to run for office. My brother is a member a member of a different national service organization and they also have problems finding leaders. At work one of my technician’s is a member of an organization that raise money for medical treatment for kids and they have problem finding members and leaders.

Why should you volunteer to help?

  • The number one reason is that it feels good to know that you helped out someone. That is the main reason why I am involved, it feels good to know that I have helped out and made life a little easier for others.
  • It teaches leadership skills that you can use through out your life.
  • It teaches you how to work in groups for a common goal.
  • It builds confidence, I never talked to an audience before but now I given more speeches and talks since I became Director of COS than I ever did before in my life.
  • It is great for networking and you meet a lot of interesting new people from all walks of life. On Friday I went to a Latino coffee shop in Hartford with a friend. I would never have gone there on my own but I am glad that I did and I had a good time sitting with my friend talking a politics.

So volunteer and get involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment