Thursday, January 18, 2007

Do I Stand Out?

My Blogs entries are going to be fewer and farther between entries now that I have started classes. The reading lists is unbelievably long and it is just for one class, I start the other class next Tuesday and from what I see the reading list is long in that class also.

I went last Tuesday to what I thought was my first class, everything I got said classes begin on the 16th. Well when I got there the room was dark and I waited but no one came. There were other students there for other classes wandering the halls asking if we have the right day and one of the other students went down to the office to find out. It turned out that all the other schools in the university started on that day but the School of Social Work started the next day (Wednesday). Grrr.... it was in the fine print down at the bottom of one of the forms that they sent us.

On Wednesday I went to my other class (Marco Theories: Human Behavior in a Social Environment) and that started on time. There are about eighteen students in the class, all but one (me) are in their twenties, fifteen of them women, two men and one tranny and all but one (me) got their Bachelor’s degree in Social Work. Talk about the odd ball; a fifty-eight year old, six foot Electrical Engineer Tranny in with a bunch of kids. Naw! I don’t stand out! When the professor was talking about the Newark and Watts riots it was old history for me. I guess I can bring a different perspective to the class.

My other class that will diffidently start next Tuesday (if it doesn’t snow) is New Perspective on Lesbians and Gay Men should be interesting but there is also a lot reading in that class also.

Tomorrow I head up to Burlington MA for a Trans conventions called “First Event” it is a five day convention with workshops and seminars during the day and at night they have entertainment. It is a great place to network and meet old friends. Most of the workshop I have already attended in the past, so I will just sit out in the lobby talking to friends and probably also doing a lot of reading. I plan on attending the Saturday night banquet just because I want to hear Helen Boyd’s speech about her new book, “She’s Not the Man I Married”. So until Sunday, g’nite.

1 comment:

  1. I am sure you will be able to provide a lot of life experience to your classmates. That is so valuable!
    Glad your classes are going well, even with all of the reading.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete