Saturday, January 28, 2023

Saturday 9: On the Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe

Sam’s Saturday 9: On the Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe (1946)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Judy Garland sings about the train whistle and wheels. What sounds make you happy?

Well yesterday, it was the sound of the blender making my chocolate milk shake at a local hamburger joint.

2) She tells us that, since she loves dreaming of train travel, she must have "a little gypsy in her heart." How about you? Do you often dream of visiting faraway places?

Ha! Not only far away places but also on other worlds. Right now I’m dreaming of being on the planet Darkover.

3) Judy sings about a future when she's "old and gray and settled down." At what age do you consider a person is old?

Hmm… I would say, as a person who is in their mid-seventies, that it is when you are pushing up dasies.

4) This song is from the movie, The Harvey Girls. Filming was a time of stress for Judy. She was appearing before the cameras by day (she sprained her ankle in a scene where slips down a hill), recording the soundtrack by night, and dealing with lawyers regarding her divorce from composer David Rose. Yet watching the movie, none of the tension shows. Do you work well under pressure?

I used to. But having been retired for almost 20 years I say “What pressure?” Now I walk away from stressful situations.

5) Judy relaxed on the set by knitting and would make blankets and caps for the children of crew members. Do you knit?

Nope. I have no desire to learn, I found when I tried it very boring and hard to concentrate. My mind keeps drifting off thinking of other things.

6) Judy admitted she had a problem with tardiness. Do you strive to be prompt?

I do, but I’m a dismal failure. But now that I out a clock in the shower I’m better on arriving on time. However, I’m still usually putting on the last item of clothing as I run to the car.

7) In 1946, when this song was on the radio, cigarette cases were very popular. Since these metal cases were standard issue in the Army during WWII, many soldiers got into the habit of using them and continued to after the war ended. Women often carried fabric or leather cigarette cases that closed with a clasp like a coin purse. In the 1940s, elegant cigarette cases were a fashionable gift but today, they are largely forgotten. Did you ever carry one? Do you know anyone who did?

Nope.

8) Also in 1946, bikinis appeared for the first time on runways in Paris. How often did you don swimwear during 2022?

Here I have a cottage on the Cape and I have probably only wore a bathing suit two or three times last summer.

9) Random question: Thinking of your past romantic involvements, were you truly in love with one of them, some of them, or all of them?

Yes.

9 comments:

  1. I applaud your approach to stress! I'm thinking of getting a part-time job and, after a career in a deadline driven job, I'm very attracted to positions with minimal pressure. That's more important to me than money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to be able to walk away from stress! I try to as often as possible, but someday when I retire I will for sure. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait until I can walk away from stress (retire)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sort of retired but I find it more stressful than having a job. Maybe I am strange.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After a while knitting or crocheting you don't even have to think about what you are doing, it just comes naturally. I used to fly on small planes to get home from college and it was cheap since it was with student pilots. The instructor was an avid knitter and I asked him why he loved knitting so much. He said, I don't but it keeps me sane when I am flying with these students!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to do that also, flying with another student until one time he didn't clear the trees at the end of the runway and we had tree branches stuck in the wheels. I had white knuckles and that was the last time I flew with him. I learned later on another flight he broke the landing gear.

      Delete
  6. It is great when you have the option to walk way. I think it is nice that you have a cottage by the sea, though I am not sure what you mean when you say cottage. So you have two homes? That is great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Planet Darkover. Here I come! And, I'll join you in the walks away from stress. About pushing up daisies... It starts actually when someone who is "Old and Busted" gets to be 80. lol

    ReplyDelete