Friday, January 06, 2023

Generationalism

[Editorial]

I don’t do voice mail!

I don’t do texts!

How many times have you heard that between the generations?

It is the new battle ground between the 20, 30 somethings and the 70, 80 somethings.

Isn’t better to think before you leave a message… “What do they prefer, text or voice mail?” Isn’t better to think first, “What do they like?” It is called common courtesy, it is having respect for others, it is like using the proper pronouns.

Just listen to the horrible music that they listen to! How can listen it?

No I am not talking about today’s music I am talking about the music that I listened to back in the 60s and 70s. Bands like Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, The Who, The Doors, and Pink Floyd.

I remember one New Year’s Eve when I was ten or eleven and I was home with my parents and my brother was out at a party. We were watching Guy Lombardo at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel and my father turned to my mother and said “Do you remember when we saw them on New Year’s Eve?” and I said something to the effect “Were you wearing a Zoot Suit?” my father laughed and said no, but some of his college friends did. (Looking back, I wish that I didn't say that, it was snarky.)


I went through my hippie period, like millions of others… “Far Out Man!” “Groovey,” “Dyn-o-mite!” and we had our black light posters while listening Sanata while we were smoking our pot.

Then we have an insurance company trying to drive a wedge between the generations, saying that somehow being like your parents is bad. I don't know about you but I think my parents were both amazing people that I hope that I am like them, kind, caring, and gentle.

The thing is each generation finds their own “thing,” music, dress, vocabulary like Goblin mode, we each make our own culture as we find our way in life.

So lets cut this “I don’t do…” crap and have a little respect for others.

[/Editorial]

1 comment:

  1. Of course respect has to work in both directions, even though I am a lot closer to your older demographic, I am constantly surprised by how many older people refuse to accept the communication preferences of others. I have ended up as a go between for my two brothers as one refuses to use email or texts and the other won't pick up the phone! ~ and I'm the youngest!

    I know there's no point in calling my daughter, if I want a response I've learnt that I need to text, I think we are all a lot more flexible when we have friendships across the generations, we might even hear some pretty cool music as well!

    ReplyDelete