Monday, April 04, 2022

Comedy

Okay we have all probably heard about and seen the slap heard around the world, it even knocked the Ukrainian war off the front page and I want to add my two cents.

  • My first penny: Violence never is right.
  • My other penny: Words hurt.

What started the whole debacle was a “joke” about a bare head. The comedian was making a joke about a wife’s hairless head but what the comedian didn’t know was that it was the result of an illness and the husband took exception to using his wife as the butt of a joke.

Will Smith said to Chris Rock, “Keep my wife’s name out of your f**king mouth” after slapping Chris Rock.

The type of humor that the comedian was using is called Insult comedy which according to Wikipedia is a comedy genre in which the act consists mainly of offensive insults usually directed at the audience or other performers.

It gets a lot of laughs but at someone’s expense and in this case Smith’s wife and the king of insult comedy was Don Rickles. Another person who uses insult comedy is Dave Chappelle and his target is us, the trans community.

As we have seen with Will Smith words hurt.

I wonder if the targets of Don Rickles went home that night thinking of suicide and cry themselves to sleep that night.

No, I will not attend or watch a comedian who gets laughs at others expense.

I do like comedy. I like situational and observational comedy, at the last Connecticut Outreach Society’s banquet they had a comedian who practices those two types of comedy and I was laughing so hard that I almost fell off of my chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment