Saturday, April 09, 2022

Saturday 9: (I Got Spurs That) Jingle Jangle Jingle

Sam’s Saturday 9: (I Got Spurs That) Jingle Jangle Jingle (1942)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is about a cowboy who is very happy about his single status. Is your closest friend married or single? Do you think he or she would be happier if their marital status changed?

They are all divorced, and I think that they are at the age where they can enjoy their grandchildren.

 2) Our cowboy is riding merrily along on horseback. Do you often ride?

Um… once every 60 years. I think that I was around 10 when I last got on a horse.

3) John Ritter/Jack Tripper used to sing the refrain of this song as he got ready for dates on Three's Company. Were you a fan of the show?

Nope. For those who liked it it is now on Antenna TV.

4) This was a top hit for bandleader Kay Kyser, who was popular during the Big Band Era. In those days, orchestras played behind vocalists, bandleaders were stars, and dances like the jitterbug and lindy hop were popular. Can you do either of those dances?

I am not much of a dancer.

5) Kyser's orchestra featured many vocalists over the years. Harry Babbitt and Julie Conway sing this week's song. Another vocalist who toured with Kyser was Mike Douglas, who went on to host a syndicated talk show from 1961 to 1981. Do you recall The Mike Douglas Show?

Another nope.

6) Kyser suffered from arthritis and wanted to retire from touring in the mid-1940s but he couldn't because he was contractually committed to concert appearances. Is there anything on today's to-do list you don't really feel like doing?

Yeah, cleaning the house.

7) Kay was a popular radio personality who combined music with comedy and quizzes. Today's most popular quiz shows are Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune. On which show would you be a more successful contestant: Jeopardy! or Wheel of Fortune?

Jeopardy! Wins by a long shot, I watch it every and I got to meet the second winningest person, you can read about here on this blog in “Diana’s Excellent Adventure.”

8) In 1942, the year this record was popular, Aretha Franklin was born. What's your favorite Aretha Franklin song?

I think “Respect” wins hands down!

9) Random question: Do you sing in the shower?

A lot of “Nopes” today.

Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

5 comments:

  1. A lot of nope's today cracked me up. I wish I were good at Jeopardy. On occassion, they do a category that I am really good at, but usually it is me just listening....hahahhaha Loved your answers. Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading about your Excellent Adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cleaning the house is never high on my "to do" list, but it is a chore that must be attended to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I laughed at your story in your comment on my blog about the horse "blowing his nose" all over your brother. When my son was little I was trying to get him over his fear of horses and picked him up to pet one at the county fair and KER-CHOO! He has never learned to like horses. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always struggle with the singing/dancing questions, too. I'm a tone-deaf klutz!

    ReplyDelete