Saturday, July 17, 2021

Saturday 9: Purple People Eater

Sam’s Saturday 9: Purple People Eater (1958)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…


Unfamiliar with this song? Hear it here.

1) When actor Sheb Wooley brought this song to MGM Records, they initially rejected it, saying it just wasn't the kind of thing they wanted to be associated with. Then executives discovered how popular the audition recording was with the 20-somethings in the office. MGM released it after all and it became a #1 hit. Tell us about a time you were glad you changed your mind about something.

Not going to party with Phil Collins.

Yup, you read right I could have partied with Genesis and Phil Collins, instead I studied for an engineering test… which I flunked.

They played in the gym at Rochester Institute of Technology on a weeknight in the gym and there were about 25 – 30 people in the audience and Phil Collins invited everyone to come and party with them.

2) This song has been so enduringly popular that in the 1970s, the Minnesota Vikings defensive line referred to themselves as the Purple People Eaters. What football team do you root for?

None.

I am not into sports, I just understand why people get worked up over a sports team or an athlete.

But I do have an interesting story about Purple People Eaters*.

3) The song was initially inspired by Sputnik, the satellite launched by the Soviet Union in 1958. In the 21st century, do you think space exploration is a worthwhile public investment? Or would you prefer governments spend that money here on earth?

YES!

We need to be changed and dream as a society otherwise we are no more than ants.

Space exploration pushes our knowledge and many inventions come out of that exploration.

It doesn't have to be an either or, it is the politicians who made it that way. Back in the 60s and we could afford both space exploration and the social safety net. The money spent on space exploration is less than 1% of the budget.

Update 8:55 I think space exploration can be used to bring manufacturing back to the US

4) The Purple People Eater is a visitor from another planet. When you imagine creatures from outer space, are they frightening or friendly?

The odds are that there are intelligent creatures and if there are beings that explore the universe then I think they would find us quite boring.

5) This record was the biggest hit Sheb Wooley ever had. He was better known as an actor, costarring with Clint Eastwood on the 1950s TV show, Rawhide. What's your favorite Clint Eastwood movie?

I liked Rawhide but not many other Clint Eastwood movies.

6) Sheb and Clint remained buddies and appeared together decades later in The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976). Tell us about one of your longest-lasting friendships.

Actually my longest-lasting friends are fading away being replaced by new friends.

7) In 1958, when this song was popular, hula hoops were a national craze. Did you ever play with a hula hoop? If yes, were you good at it?

Yes I had a hula hoop and I was horrible at it.

8) Also in 1958, Arnold Palmer won his first Masters Golf Tournament. When did you most recently play golf?

Um… never. Now if you are talking about miniature golf than it was a couple of years ago that I played and I loved it.

9) Random question: Do you believe women gossip more than men?

I can answer this from a unique perspective, and they both do it the same amount.

Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

* Purple People Eaters: There was a DJ who had a group of loyal followers called the Purple People Eaters. I think the DJ was JoeyReynolds and he was on WPOP or WDRC. I remember that he moved to a clear channel radio station in Buffalo NY that we used to listen to in the parking lot of McDonald’s.

~~~~~~~~

Last weekend Tropical Storm Elsa came through with high winds gusting to 60 mph on Friday and almost no rain on the Cape but back home there was widespread flooding so I decided to drive home on Saturday. At hone we had about 2.5 inches of rain in about 3 hours Hence the reason why I didn't post any comments on your blogs.

7 comments:

  1. It is interesting how many inventions we take for granted now came out of the space program (or the military). I like reading about that. I would be in complete favor of the space program if the idiots in Washington could learn how to spend our money like it was theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad you chose the studying over Phil. I mean, if you flunked anyway, you may as well have partied.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, a party with Phil Collins. That would have been hard to turn down. I agree with you on the gossip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess since we can't solve many problems on earth then we might as well go into space and mess that up too. I bet if those purple people eaters were real and suddenly came down to earth folks everywhere would try to get it together real quick. I really must say I resent people like Branson and Bezos who are going for a rich man's thrill ride in space when there is so much more that could be done with the money. But of course they are greedy pieces of crap they are. But then I am such a old liberal when I see millions of hungry people, countries ravaged by war, climate change doing in the earth and on and on. I vote for the Purple People Eaters giving the world a good scare. Always remember these lines, Ah, you may leave here for four days in space But when you return, it's the same old place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Studying vs Phil … I probably would have done the same. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my experience men gossip as much as women, if not more. (Based on the teachers at school, anyhow)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was hoping you would share the Purple People Eater story...thanks for that. I agree with you on #9. I am glad you could verify that for me. Loved your answers. Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete