Saturday, July 31, 2021

Saturday 9: Dead Skunk

 Sam’s Saturday 9: Dead Skunk (1972)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…


Unfamiliar with this song? Hear it here.

1) This song is about a poor dead skunk that stinks "to high heaven." Have you ever experienced the spray from a skunk?

Oh yes!

My bedroom windows are awing type windows that crank out from the bottom.

So one spring night with the windows wide open I woke up gasping for breath, the room was filled with skunk. It was so bad I had to sleep on the couch in the living room for a week, my bedroom reeked of skunk.

The next morning I went out looked around my bedroom windows and right under my window was a skunk head, tail, and entrails. My theory was an owl killed it under my window.

2) Dennis Oliver, a disc jockey in Quincy, IL, played this song every night at 9:00 PM for decades. The only thing that got him to stop was being moved to the morning slot. What song do you never tire of?

I think any song by the Eagles.

3) At Georgia Tech's Russ Chandler Stadium, the fans sing this during the 7th inning stretch of their baseball games. Do you know the lyrics of the more conventional 7th inning choice, "Take Me Out to the Ballgame?"

Nope.

4) This week's featured artist, Loudon Wainwright III, can play many instruments, but is said to enjoy banjo and ukulele best. If you could magically become proficient on any instrument right now, which would you choose, and why?

A guitar because it is portable and can be played anywhere.

5) He appeared as Capt. Spalding on several episodes of M*A*S*H in the 1970s. If you could transport yourself into the world of your favorite TV show, which would you choose?

Well first off it wouldn’t be M*A*S*H who wants to be in the middle of a war.

Dr. Who’s universe, time travel would be so neat.

6) Loudon's mother was a yoga instructor. What did you most recently do for exercise?

Um…

Um…

I am sorry to say don't exercise enough.

7) He went to St. Andrew's School in Delaware, where the movie Dead Poet's Society, starring Robin Williams, was filmed. When you think of Robin Williams, do you recall his dramatic movie roles, his funny movies, his comedy routines, or Mork from Ork?

All of them! He was a great comedian and actor, what ever he did was great.

8) In 1973, when this song was popular, Norman Mailer created a great deal of buzz with his book about Marilyn Monroe. Do you read many biographies and memoirs? Or do you prefer to read fiction?

I think any Saturday 9er knows the answer… I read science fiction.

9) Random question: You're on the road, traveling through a town you've never been in before, and ready to stop for a quick bite. On one side of the street is a cute little diner called Mom's. On the other side is McDonald's. Which do you choose?

Um… any Burger Kings or Subways in town?

I am a creature of habit, I have a hard time going to a strange place.


Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

6 comments:

  1. You're right about the guitar. It's very portable! Hadn't thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've never had a skunk killed under our window, but it isn't unusual to wake up in the night to the smell during the summer. Some years they smell more potent than others. Not sure if it's certain family genes or what they are eating that determines it. One particularly bad year we'd see a family group of about 8 digging in the flower beds every night for grubs. I found out years later that a friend from down the street had been feeding them that year because she thought they were cute! Well, that explains the whole "herd" of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes to number 6. On Monday I am going to start exercising more and going on a diet. Yeah right!! How many Tuesday-Sundays have I been saying that line.
    Skunks PU. They can stay away from here. Some of the weed I smell around lately smells like skunk. Does one have to sing as they play the guitar? Dog howls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was in a guitar mood when I answered these questions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word! The skunk story. I am so sorry that happened right outside your window. We had one spray under our house once. That was awful too. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get that skunk story! Guitar is always a good answer!

    ReplyDelete