Thursday, July 08, 2021

Wimps!

That is what we are, nothing but wimps.

If I remember correctly Rush Limbaugh called us wimps because it was only a tropical storm that hit us in 2011 when Irene dumped on us.

Well tonight and tomorrow morning we are supposed to get hit by Tropical Storm Elsa tonight and tomorrow, we here on the Cape should be on the windy side of the tropical storm with the rain going inland (As I write Thursday the storm track has the eye moving over the Cape Cod Canal) while the rain is centered over the I-84 corridor and the Mass Pike. While back home in Connecticut my house should get heavy rains, a couple of inches.

For New Englander’s they know that it is the rain that does all the damage not so much the wind.

And there two important facts to keep in mind.
1. We have hills and that means that we have valleys
2. Water flows down hill.
Which results in massive flooding in the valleys. I remember the 1955 wham-bang punches of Hurricane Connie followed by Hurricane Diane leaving behind 15” to 30” of rain! You want to guess where the areas that got hit the hardest were? Then in 2011 it was Vermont’s turn, they got hammered with Tropical Storm Irene. The storm wiped out the valleys isolating whole towns for weeks, in some parts of Vermont they got up to 11 inches of rain in 24 hours period.

Meanwhile Rush Limbaugh and other conservatives were down playing storm intensity…
Political rhetoric may impact your hurricane preparedness
Conservative commentary could lead people to downplay the urgency of storm warnings.
By Ula Chrobak
September 11, 2020


In many ways, it feels like Americans increasingly live in two different realities. Now, it seems like this is true even in a situation as immediately consequential as a hurricane. People of different political affiliations living in the same city appear to be disagreeing on what was once non-partisan: storm severity.

That’s according to a new study published in Science Advances. Researchers found that conservative commentators downplaying the threat of Hurricane Irma in 2017 appear to have had a direct effect on Trump voters’ likelihood of evacuating.In early September 2017, Rush Limbaugh told the listeners of his popular radio show that hurricanes are “never as strong as they’re reported,” and that tropical storm warnings were part of advancing the “climate change agenda.” This statement was followed by echoes from other commentators, including Ann Coulter, and eventually reported by mainstream media by outlets such as The Washington Post and CNN (albeit with a critical eye).
So I am…
  • Filling the bathtub with water since I am on a well
  • Check my flashlights
  • Charge everything, (phone, table, laptop, my car, etc.) I have a cigarette lighter plug-in device that converts 12Vdc to 120Vac so I can charge any device.
What I need up here is another propane camp-stove and lantern.

3 comments:

  1. How ridiculous people are to politicize the weather! Whether, yes; weather, no. Reign, yes; rain, no.

    In 1955, I didn't have the name, Connie, yet, so that one can't be blamed on me. I was four-years-old then, and I was only vaguely aware of my feminine-self. There are some who call me Connie Tsunami now, but I'm not a hurricane (I'm more apt to hit on the rebound than to come straight ahead atchya. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please keep yourself safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be safe Diana. Fill those jugs with drinking water. The weather station keeps mentioning Chatham. PU. Its raining its pouring here in East Hartford. I am ready as I do not enjoy power outages. I moved all of my potted plants into the shed yesterday and the large ones I strung up a large tarp and put them under it. They have been getting too much rain lately. I would rather be over prepared than not. We have city water here and a gas stove so we are okay but I am scared the mobile home we live in may blow away. Be well and safe. Never shall we listen to any foolish politicians who have a screwed idea about health, wellness, safety and a whole lot of other things.

    ReplyDelete