Friday, April 19, 2019

Out And About

We just had the Transgender Day of Visibility and one of the theories behind the movement when you know a trans person you are more likely to accept all trans people.
Transgender Actor on How Netflix's 'The OA' Helped His Family Accept His Identity
The Hollywood Reporter
By Katherine Schaffstall
April 17, 2019

"Being on set was the first time I heard my mom use my correct name and pronouns, so that made my heart soar and made me realize they can accept this," Ian Alexander told Ellen DeGeneres.

Ian Alexander made his talk show debut during Wednesday's episode of The Ellen DeGeneres Show.

The star of Netflix's The OA, who is the first transgender Asian-American person to act on television, joined his co-star and co-creator Brit Marling to discuss how the Netflix series helped his parents accept his gender identity.
[…]
"I think being on The OA actually really helped them realize that I can be happy and I can be successful as a trans person and as a queer person," he said. "Being on set for The OA was the first time I heard my mom use my correct name and pronouns, so that made my heart soar and made me realize they can accept this and other people can accept this and I can be just fully accepted for who I am in this environment."
He is not the first trans person on television, you might remember Candis Cayne who played Carmelita on Dirty Sexy Money and then there was the soap opera All My Children where Zoe was a transgender character but Zoe was played by a cisgender man, however there was one show on the program where there were a number trans people playing the parts of trans people (You can read about it here).


In the movies… Boy Meets Girl (2014): 'Ricky' was played by Michelle Hendley


And just recently And Then There Was Eve (2017) that starred Rachel Crowl who was in the All My Children program in 2007

And And Then There Was Eve is available on Amazon Prime... it is an excellent movie, actually both of the movies are excellent

No comments:

Post a Comment