Tuesday, April 09, 2019

It Must Be Hard…

…When a spouse transitions. I have never married but I know of a few couples where a spouse transitioned, some survived, some divorced, and one couple that I know were divorced but are now back together.
My Wife Supported Me During My Gender Reassignment Surgery. Then Came The Hard Part
‘Sometimes we would think, Why shouldn’t we stay together? We love each other, and our marriage is about a lot more than sex.’
Chatelaine
By Kristen Worley and Johanna Schneller
March 29, 2019

Kristen Worley is a former world-class cyclist who now champions the rights of women in sport. She has challenged the gender policies of the International Olympic Committee and related sports bodies, which she successfully argued were designed to discriminate against female athletes. Worley was born a boy, adopted by a conservative family, and felt like an outsider from a young age. Woman Enough (published this month by Random House) is about her legal battle and personal journey, including her decision to pursue gender reassignment surgery. In the following excerpt, she offers a candid description of the experience of transitioning and how it changed her life.
[…]
My wife Ali jokes (but isn’t joking) that she married a man, raised a teenager, and ended up with a wife. By teenager, she’s referring to my hormonal changes. For the first few years, she had to keep reminding herself how she’d felt as a teenager, and that I was basically hormone soup.
It has to be very hard to transition as a couple.

I remember a couple that I know the wife talked about the things that she missed… falling asleep on her husband’s shoulder on the subway… walking down the street holding her husband’s hand. She still does them today but they get stares.



Today I am at a local medical school to take part in a LGBTQ+ panel for the second year medical students.

No comments:

Post a Comment