Wednesday, July 29, 2015

I Remember…

Back when I was doing my first internship for my MSW and my field supervisor asked me about my support network and I didn’t know what she meant. I thought she might be talking about trans support groups but what she meant was who do I turn to for emotional support. I told her that my brother was my support network. But I though that I would never need that because my concentration was in Community Organizing, but I was wrong.
How Connecticut is Helping Combat Child Sex TraffickingThree hundred child victims of human trafficking have been reported in Connecticut since 2008, Gov. Dannel P. Malloy said.New London Patch
By Jaimie Cura (Patch Staff)
 July 29, 2015

Gov. Dannel P. Malloy signed into law a bill that gives law enforcement an additional tool to investigate domestic minor sex trafficking, or DMST, and also expands access to services to victims of child exploitation.

Malloy also announced the launch of a new law enforcement education initiative that will enhance the effectiveness of investigations and prosecutions of this crime, according to a press release from his office.

300 Child Victims of Human Trafficking
“That there have been 300 child victims of human trafficking have been reported in Connecticut since 2008 is stunning — and people want action,” Malloy said on Wednesday, July 29. “As we work towards smart policing and a more effective criminal justice system, ending the trafficking of children has to be a central component. It’s, simply, a moral issue. If law enforcement, social workers, and other professionals have access to the tools they need, we can help the victims and more effectively prevent this type of horrible crime. That’s why these steps are so important.”
One day during my second year internship I was asked by my boss to go to a meeting for her at Court Support Services Division (CSSD) and the meeting changed my life.

The meeting was about a teenage trans woman who was thrown out of her home when she came out to her parents and she ran away to Connecticut. She was picked up by a pimp at the bus stations, locked in a room and shot up with heroin and then forced to work the streets. She was arrested and jailed as a prostitute, she turned in her pimp. At the pimp’s trail she told the court what he had done to her and on the steps of the court house he shot her.

CSSD was looking for a shelter to place the girl in and get treatment for her addiction but nobody wanted to take her in. No one wanted to take an addict with a contact on her head. The feds did want to put her into the witness protection program because she was too small of a fish, and the Connecticut program was fill and also couldn’t handle a minor.

I never found out what happened to her, but that night I needed to call my brother because I too emotionally upset over the meeting. Human trafficking is something that we think happens only in third world countries but it is happening in our own backyards and many of the children are run away trans children.

No comments:

Post a Comment