Saturday, August 17, 2013

Saturday Six #488

Patrick’s Place Saturday Six #488

For all of these questions, assume you’ve just read the morning paper and spotted a false report of your own death.

1. Who would be the first person close to you whom you’d call to set the record straight?
Well actually it was my brother who called me. Since I am retired and live alone I use something called “Deathswitch” and every morning I get an email that I have to click on. One morning I didn’t notice that I didn’t get an email from them and the next day I get a call from my brother asking me if I’m alright. But if the paper reported my death I’ll probably post something on Facebook since I do not have any local family.

2. Would you call the newspaper to dispute the report before or after calling the person you named in Question 1?
Probably Facebook first because the news would have spread all over Facebook by then.

3. Would you be tempted to play along with the situation and show up somewhere that you knew people who thought you’d died would be, just to see their reaction?
No, that would be a cruel joke.

4. Would you go online to read comments if you knew your newspaper’s website had such a place for people to leave memories of you?
Yes. Like I said it would be cruel to let everyone thing I died.

5. If you could find an honest listing of such memories and thoughts from people who knew you, would you expect the comments to be all positive, all negative, mostly positive, mostly negative, or in the middle?
I would think that they would all be positive and I would post thank yous. Which probably would be the first time anyone thanked people for leaving a comment on their Obit.

6. If you were to see your obituary, would you hope that your true age was or wasn’t mentioned?
No, I not that fussy about my age. However, when I was interviewed by reporters from newspapers and  television interviews I didn’t give my true age.

No comments:

Post a Comment