Saturday, January 21, 2012

Saturday Six – Episode 406

Patrick’s Place Saturday Six – Episode 406

1. What is your single biggest concern about legislation to block piracy on the web?
That it will limit “Fair Use” of copyrighted material. I comment on news items and I try to keep it within fair use limits and credit the author.

2. How much do you agree that creators (and copyright holders) of intellectual property should have legal protection to prevent others from directly profiting from their work?
I totally agree, that is why I always credit the author.

3. What would be your first reaction if you found that someone else had reproduced your blog’s content without any credit?
I would be mad.
As an aside, I had a major national organization blog, comment on my blog, they did give me credit and a link to my posting. That day I had the highest number of hits ever and also looking at my stats, a few of the visitors came back again.

4. Have you ever had a website shut down (through a DMCA takedown notice) for plagiarism or copyright infringement?
No.

5. If you saw that a website was reproducing your content as though it was the writer’s own content, and that the writer didn’t respond to an email from you asking that your content be removed, would you consider filing a DMCA takedown notice?
No, unless they were making money off of ads to their website.

6. What do you think should be the ideal response when someone posts copyrighted content, such as a pop song he doesn’t have legal rights to, on a site like YouTube?
It depends on their use of the material (such as making money off of it). also how frequent do they use copyrighted materials and how many people visit the website.

Comment: I think that the DMCA extends the life of copyrighted material too long. I think that it should be limited to 20 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment