Wednesday, July 04, 2007

What’s the difference?

What’s the difference between being gay and being trans. There is one major difference beside the fact that one is about sexual orientation and the other is about gender, it’s transitioning. A gay or lesbian doesn’t have to go around telling everyone that they are gay. They do not have to go up to their banker and tell them that they are gay and please change all my records. They do not need a court order. They do not have to spend days having their legal documents change and putting up with clerks who have never made changes like that before. They do not have to put up with the clerks huddling trying to figure out what forms that they need as they keep on glancing over at you. They do not have to spend days driving around the state getting their paperwork changed.
They do not have to stand on a soapbox and say “Hey world look at me; ‘I’m trans!’”

4 comments:

  1. One might also say that's the difference between those who have transitioned and those who have not....the coming out to every single person in your life part is pretty powerful and changing.

    Good luck with the paperwork....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, hon. You're a strong woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree completely. I have a choice on whom and even if I wish to tell.

    Good luck with all of the paperwork!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diana - I have really appreciated reading your honest words about the daily struggles you face!

    I found you through Create a Connection!!

    Thanks for sharing your journey! :)

    ReplyDelete