Friday, July 27, 2007

Create a Connection

Photo Thursday: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder




I took this photo (The size photograph just doesn't come through on the blog uses, it is a lot nicer on Picasa Web Alblum), well actually three photos, last year up on Cape Cod MA. The photo is of Race Point Light house, the lighting was just right and the only thing I could wish for is clouds. I think that would have made the picture even better, I could have added them with Photoshop but I think that is cheating.
I liked to photograph because I feel it brings to life the feeling of the vast bareness of the salt marshes and the dunes and the solitude of the lighthouse.

#######

On another topic; I went up to UConn (University of Connecticut) main campus in Storrs today with a friend and we went to see the Alpine Views: Alexandre Calame and the Swiss Landscape exhibit at the William Benton Museum of Art.
I never knew that they had a museum there on campus and I was quite impressed with the exhibits and I particularly liked Calame “Torrents” series of waterfalls in the Alps. But looking at the paintings a question came to mind, the contrast on the darker areas was very low making it impossible to make out the details in the shadow areas. My question is; did he do it on purpose to draw the eye into the center of the painting or did the painting lose the contrast over time, maybe because of smoke or aging of the oil paints? Was I looking at the actual colors when it was painted or like the Sistine Chapel is it covered with the smoke and dust of the ages? However; the beauty and the technique of the artist still came through and I enjoyed the exhibits.

1 comment:

  1. I love the panoramic shot. What a gorgeous place...

    ReplyDelete