Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Create a Connection

Getting to Know You Day: Advice

1) When you were growing up, who was the "wisest" person you were close to? How did you know they knew what they were talking about?
It was so long ago that it is lost in the haze of time but when I was little I would have to say my father, I thought that he was the wisest person. As I grew up I listened to the advice of Mr. Downer, science teacher and I guess I listened because he was a teacher.

2) Did you ever have a relative/friend give unsolicited advice that perhaps at the time it was given, were resentful, but later came to find out they were right?
Once again it is lost in the haze of time, but I cannot remember anything that stands out.

3) Have you ever regretted not taking someone's advice?

Not that I remember, but I had many regrets for not following my heart.

4) What words of wisdom would you give to someone trying to find their way in the world? What words did you hear that helped you find your way?
My words of wisdom to the next generation who are trying to find their way is to go into a field that cannot be exported over seas. Like the trades (construction, plumbing & electrical), medical, police and fire. I think we are going to become a nation of service jobs everything else is going to be exported overseas, even corporate executives. Why do you need to have the corporate headquarters here, when Bahrain can do just as good and it is cheaper.
My other bit of advice is to start saving as soon as you get out of school. Start an IRA, 401(k) or what ever tax free saving plan you can have. No one is going to look out for yourself except you.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for playing Diana. You've got some good advice in your last answer.I also wish I had followed my heart more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice on the finances. I'm now in my 30's and fear it is too late to ever catch up on savings. I'm wondering if I'll ever get to "retire" (probably not). I needed your advice 13 years ago :-)

    ReplyDelete