Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Pride Festival

I just came back from a Pride Festival and I have to say it was unique. As usual I got a call asking if I would be interested in helping out at a Pride Festival and as usual I said yes. Then I asked about the details; where, when, what do we need to bring, etc. and I was a little surprised when the answer came back, that it was at a local mental health hospital. Hmm… that’s different. It was to be a Pride Festival for the patients and I didn’t really know what to expect. So I packed everything in the car and off I went this afternoon.

But let me digress for a moment. Because this is my last week of work I had planned to go out to lunch today with the HR Director and a friend, the Outreach was at one and I wouldn’t have time to run home and change. I asked them if they would mind if I came as Diana and they didn’t. So they meet me as Diana for the first time and lunch (It was at a local lobster pound and I had a lobster roll with clam chowder.) went very well, we all had a good time.

At the hospital I signed in and was given directions to the room where the Pride Festival was to be held and I went and set up the table. The patients came drifting in and started to dance to the music provide by a DJ, a few of them from time to time stopped by the table to ask questions. They all seemed to have a good time and the only problem that I had was trying to eat the cake without a fork.

So I was glad that I went and I was glad that my friends from work got to meet me before I leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment