Sunday, June 29, 2008

One Year Today - A New Paradigm?

In social science, the nature/nurture controversy has shaped causal models of behavior…. Now, [we] will need to be trained in the new person-environment paradigm, which includes the integration of nature and nurture…. [We] need to be open to new concepts. Do not fear integration of social and physical science, but welcome it. This is the future.
AM Johnson and S Taylor-Brown
Social Work Education Reporter, 1997

That is how my textbook on Human Behavior in the Micro Environment begins; it goes to the heart of my pensiveness. Not many people give their gender much thought, but I have. It has been one year since I transitioned and accord to the medical standards of care; I am eligible for surgery…

…eligibility requirement is: a person must live full time in the preferred gender for twelve months prior to genital surgery. To meet this criterion, the professional needs to document that the real-life experience has occurred for this duration.
http://www.wpath.org/Documents2/socv6.pdf

The questions are. Am I ready? Moreover, do I want to have the surgery?

This past year has been a rollercoaster for me with unbelievable high and gut retching lows. At times, it has been very stressful. I have found this year to be truly rewarding leading me down paths that I could only imagine a couple of years ago. If you told me back in 1999 that I would be walking the halls of Congress, lobbying in the sate Capital, taking part in panel discussion before an audience of a couple of hundred of people or meeting people that have changed the course of human rights, I would have asked you if I could have some of what you were smoking. But all that still does not answer the question, am I ready?

After a year of living full time as a trans-woman I feel no different that I did before I transitioned, I am still me. I wrote this poem before I transitioned…

Trans-
I look in the mirror and I see a man.
I blink, and I see a woman.
But, I am I.
I don’t feel any different.
How can I be both?
Can both survive?
Will one have to be destroyed, in order for the other to live?
Will I still be me?


I think I can answer that now; yes, I am still the person I was before I transitioned.

Before I was stressed out because I was living two lives, my public life and “Diana” life, that stress caused me to have medical complications with my heart. I now worry about the stress of being called “Sir” on the phone. I received a call the other day asking for “Diana” and I replied, “I am Diana” she didn’t believe and thought I was my brother and she went on about how she did believe me. Now when I have to call the credit card company I expect to be transferred over to security. I worry about the stress of having to deal with idiots. I went to the local hardware store to get my propane tank filled for the seasons, I asked at the lumber counter about getting the tank filled and they directed me to the front counter. As I was walking up to the front of the building, I could hear them giggling and when I came back, I could hear them saying them say, “He’s coming back.” I worry about using the bathroom, when I am in the women’s bathroom, I do not talk in the bathroom because I worry about my deep voice. Most women have absolutely no problem with me using the women’s room but I worry about that one time when someone challenges me. I worry that this stress might bring back my medical problems cause by this stress.

I have met many new friends in the LGBT community and I have met many new friends in the straight community. They have welcomed me as Diana for who I am. I have found that the vast majority of people are friendly and open. As a man, I do not think any stranglers ever started a conversation with me, as a trans-woman I had strangers ask me questions or start a conversation which I am still getting use to.

However, I still see myself as that shy person who sits over in the corner by himself or herself watching the world go by them. I still feel that I have not changed and the world has not changed around me. I do not feel like I am a woman but at the same time I do not feel like I am a man, I just feel like me. I do not feel that this is a new paradigm, but still the same paradigm that I looked through all my life. I feel that I am still looking through the same set of lens.

So that question that I am asking is, should I have the surgery or wait until this rollercoaster settles down in to a smoother ride? For now, I think I am going to differ surgery for another year.

1 comment:

  1. kdjiHi Di,
    First, congrats on your one year anniversary on legally being Diana!!! Yay!!!

    Now the surgery question....the correct answer is whatever you decide...it's a personal choice.

    I ask myself about surgery and this is what I come up with...

    Is having the surgery important to me? For me, no. I already feel good about myself.

    Will having the surgery make me feel like a woman? For me, no. I already feel like I am a woman.

    Would having a vagina enable me to do what a woman can do that I can't do now? Yes, of course! Then I could have penal/vaginal intercourse but let's face it, will that happen if I have the surgery? Most likely, no.

    Would having the surgery make me feel complete? No. I don't think I could ever feel complete even with the surgery unless I could go back to being a baby girl and live my life as female from the beginning. That's not going to happen.

    Do I despise my penis? No. I don't really like it but it doesn't really bother me.

    Do I feel a need to remove my penis? No.

    Truthfully I forget that i even have one most of the time. Only when I dress/undress do I think about it.

    Will the surgery change anything in my life? Yes, if I consider wearing tighter clothes around that area. No, because I will not realistically wear tighter clothes in that area.

    Will having the surgery legally make me a woman. No, I already am legally a woman. Oh maybe not Social Security wise but does that really matter to me? No.

    Would I like to have a vagina? Yes.

    Would I mind spending the $20K to have it. Yes, that is a lot of money to me.

    Do I worry about if the surgery isn't quite perfect or that things may cause me new inconveniences healthwise? Yes. There are a number of things that can go wrong.

    Do I worry about the pain of surgery? No.

    If I had the surgery might I not keep up with dilating and ultimately might my vagina close up? Yes, that could very well happen.

    Would I ever want my penis back? No.

    So that's the conversation with myself on my thoughts on surgery. I am resigned to being a non-op but I am really ok with it.

    I think the biggest thing in my gender journey was the decision to live full time as a woman. Having the surgery I think just might enhance the journey, but then again, nobody really knows what you have between your legs and most will never find out unless you tell them. I guess to me it's just not important for any reason to have the surgery. But then again, I have always been different from most of the other girls.

    But everyone is different and the decision is yours and yours alone.
    Good luck!
    Luvs,
    Deja

    ReplyDelete